PDA

View Full Version : USB stick problem

marcin.bi
05-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Knoppix hangs with some USB stick memories

It has been checked with 2 versions of Knoppix (3.4 and one of erlier) and 2 different PCs.
We checked 3 different memory sticks. All of them worked fine on Win2000 (machine different than those running Koppix, but I assume it makes no difference).
One memory stick (USB 1.1) worked without problems. A new dir is created in /mnt, we didn't try any transfers.
One (USB 2.0) is identified, but Knoppix hangs after about 60secs after the stick is inserted. No new dir created in /mnt. lsusb lists the device.
One (unknown USB version, but most probably 1.1 as it is quite old) hangs after about 2 minutes. No new dir created in /mnt, system slowed down noticeably.

Knoppix never makes any output before hanging, it just freezes. Hardware reset is neccessary.

Has anyone experienced such behaviour?
Is there any way out of it?

softwaretester
05-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Maybe try booting with the
nousb
option.

Then.. get usb support manually.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo su
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# modprobe usb-uhci
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# modprobe usb-storage
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# cd /mnt
root@ttyp0[mnt]# ls
auto cdrom floppy hd hda1 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 pts sys test
root@ttyp0[mnt]# mkdir sda1
root@ttyp0[mnt]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
root@ttyp0[mnt]# cd /mnt/sda1
root@ttyp0[sda1]# ls
BitDefender Free Edition fastfat.sys
Downloads grub.conf
Extra Software knoppix.img
HDGrubInstall.doc knoppix.sh
KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-03-2004.iso.torrent ntfs.sys
bootex.log ntoskrnl.exe
cdfs.sys setiathome
cheatsheet.html slackware-9.1-install-d1.torrent
configs.tbz slackware-9.1-install-d2.torrent
...etc...

root@ttyp0[sda1]#

Just an idea.
(p.s. I'm still learning how to use linux. I google a lot)
My toshiba Satellite's usb controller has some issues with the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
Works ok on my desktops though.

marcin.bi
05-19-2004, 09:07 AM
After all I managed Knoppix to accept the stick.
The problem was obviously in the filesystem.
I didn't bother investigating much - I just found a post somwhere on the Internet saying that sticks can be formatted in some 'superfloppy' standard and that Linux may have problems with that.
I had to use another distribution (SLAX) to repartition the stick. It had to be formatted afterwards. Then it worked well both under Windows and Linux.

It is just a pity that Knoppix hangs completely. SLAX just said it could not be mounted, but allowed partitioning with 'fdisk'.