PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba s504 trouble booting

zeeboid
05-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey. first off, i'm kind of new with Linx... though i was able to install a couple of diffrent versions on my laptop and have everthing work... Knoppix is giving me some trouble (or i'm giving it trouble!)

i have a Toshiba s504 and when i try to boot with knoppix-std it gives me the following errors:

crc error<6>Freeing initrd memory: 489k freed
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

i've tried a couple of cheat codes (loading into ram, screen sizes stuff) but nothing has worked so far... any sugguestions?

Thanks alot :)

softwaretester
05-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Sounds a bit like a dirty disk, a scratched cd, or an issue with the cd drive.

I think there's a testcd or mediacheck flag that can be added to boot to check the cd.

zeeboid
05-14-2004, 09:04 PM
ahhhh... that did it... it boots up now...

now i just need to figure out some of the programs... anyone know Kimsett? (spelling) it loads and just shuts down... weather or not i have airsnort up..

zeeboid
05-15-2004, 08:03 AM
oh... heres one for you... i can see my network, however my laptop won't connect to the internet... it will see the computers on the network, but can't get through to the internet... sugguestions?

Durand Hicks
05-15-2004, 05:10 PM
You'll need to edit /etc/resolv.conf and enter the correct dns servers your isp uses. Once that's entered you should be able to get out on the internet. Easier way is to use the netcardconfig script in the knoppix menu.

HTH,

Durand