PDA

View Full Version : Boot Knoppix from .iso image

funkymonk
05-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

hope i'm in the right section...I've heard that it is possible to boot Knoppix from the original .iso image rather than on the CD. I've tried Mandrake a few months ago, and I remember you could choose between Linux or Windows with the help of LILO. Can the same be done with Knoppix ?

I have four partitions, C:\ is XP pro, D: and E: backup and data and I've created F:\ to put the .iso image there. I've heard that something like GRUB can be used, how can I deal with that ?

Sorry, my post is a real mess. So basically, my question is : I want to have XP and Knoppix on same computer, without putting Knoppix CD everytime but loading from .iso image on HD. Last but not least, I would like to choose between OS everytime I boot. How that can be done ? Thanks for reading my awful post :oops:

baldyeti
05-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Well, depending on the available diskspace and your willingness to re-partition, you can either use the so-called poor man install or properly install to HD. The 1st method only requires about 700 Mb on a fat partition, whereas the 2d needs about 4Gb and leaves you with a setup akin to any other debian-based distro. See the Docs section of this very site.