PDA

View Full Version : Saving configuration, reclaim?

gradnite
05-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Hi.

So, I use the save configuration setting sometimes. Is this actually making a partition on my hard drive? How can I reclaim the space it has used?

Thanks

eco2geek
05-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Partition?!

Saving your configuration (KNOPPIX menu > Configure > Save KNOPPIX configuration) creates two files, "configs.tbz" and "knoppix.sh," that take up less than 250K on my computer.

Making a persistent KNOPPIX home directory (KNOPPIX menu > Configure > Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory) will allow you to use a partition, but only if you tell it to. Otherwise, it creates a file named "knoppix.img" on whatever partition you specified, of whatever size you specified.

Obviously, you can delete those files.

eco2geek
05-15-2004, 08:25 PM
To clarify, the script that saves a persistent home directory will offer to reformat one of your existing hard disk partitions and use the whole thing as a persistent home. Most people probably don't want to do that for a live CD, and will just elect to have it create a file (knoppix.img) in an existing partition.

Anyway, I recently booted Knoppix 3.4 to kernel 2.4 and tried to use the persistent home directory file it made when running kernel 2.6, and it wouldn't work. Curious. Anyone else have that experience?

j.drake
05-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Anyway, I recently booted Knoppix 3.4 to kernel 2.4 and tried to use the persistent home directory file it made when running kernel 2.6, and it wouldn't work. Curious. Anyone else have that experience?

I didn't try that, but I have noticed that persistent homes, files I've downloaded to the PH partition and saved configurations that I've saved to the PH partition will sometimes "disappear", leaving me to start back at square one.

JD

Edit - see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10577

gradnite
05-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Partition?!

Saving your configuration (KNOPPIX menu > Configure > Save KNOPPIX configuration) creates two files, "configs.tbz" and "knoppix.sh," that take up less than 250K on my computer.

Making a persistent KNOPPIX home directory (KNOPPIX menu > Configure > Create a persistent KNOPPIX home directory) will allow you to use a partition, but only if you tell it to. Otherwise, it creates a file named "knoppix.img" on whatever partition you specified, of whatever size you specified.

Obviously, you can delete those files.

I can delete those files from windows?