PDA

View Full Version : Installing to harddrive

osiris_22
05-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Yes ive been tyring to figure out how to install to hard drive.. ive tried the ctl+alt+f2 and the knx-hdinstall.. and well it says bad command line or some crap.. my friend told me there is a way to install it inside of knoppix but i cant find it.. any help would work thanks

Osiris

Cardador
05-16-2004, 03:15 AM
osiris:

Boot from your Knoppix CD, open a console (theres an icon for it) and type:
su
knoppix-installer

Then you get a graphical installer, that should be fairly straight forward as long as you know how to partition your hd.

Bye!

gradnite
05-16-2004, 06:42 AM
osiris:

Boot from your Knoppix CD, open a console (theres an icon for it) and type:
su
knoppix-installer

Then you get a graphical installer, that should be fairly straight forward as long as you know how to partition your hd.

Bye!

My question is: it asks if i want to partition my hard drive. Is it going to destroy everything else on it? I want a dual-boot with XP.

fingers99
05-16-2004, 06:52 AM
My question is: it asks if i want to partition my hard drive. Is it going to destroy everything else on it? I want a dual-boot with XP.

If your HD is ntfs, use the Windows tools to create a seperate fat32 partition (this is where you'll install knoppix). Then run the knoppix installer. Another trick is to pick up a copy of Mandrake and use that to resize the ntfs, then abort the install after the disk has been reformatted and install Knoppix. :wink:

gradnite
05-16-2004, 08:07 AM

If your HD is ntfs, use the Windows tools to create a seperate fat32 partition (this is where you'll install knoppix). Then run the knoppix installer. Another trick is to pick up a copy of Mandrake and use that to resize the ntfs, then abort the install after the disk has been reformatted and install Knoppix. :wink:

Hi. Yes, the HD is NTFS. Is there anything free out there that I could use to create that fat32 partition? I don't have a copy of Mandrake, but that does sound like a good option.