PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-installer lost /mnt/cdrom , network probllem.

drg55
05-16-2004, 10:44 AM
As I recall I had 3.2 or 3.3 working nicely on the hd with a symbolic link to hdc in /dev, I must be getting stupider as the months go by. This time if I have a cd in the drive and click the link on the desktop, or try to mount it from the command line I get the message "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." This was with the easy install and the debian style. My reason for the hd install is to get access to the cd (and dvd) player.

A problem I have with debian itself these days is after networking is setup (which I don't understand a lot about) if I don't go online during the install process to download updates, I can't get my internet working later. (it connects but no data comes down) Same with the hd install. Again I had that working with knx-installer (I think it was) in the past. Meanwhile with the live knoppix cd it works fine, which I am using right now.

Also the clock is out by six hours, my system is set to local time.

David.
(Australia)

drg55
05-18-2004, 03:10 AM
I have dtried this about 4 times, with same result. I am using knoppix26
but have tried different variations.

It couldn't find /mnt/floppy either.

David.

m_yates
05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Debian uses /cdrom instead of /mnt/cdrom.

SgtRauksauff
05-20-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm getting the same problem. i've got a CD with a bunch of mp3's on it that I was going to listen to.

in a root shell i tried 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and that didn't work. I did notice that /mnt/cdrom (and /mnt/floppy) is just a symlink to /mnt/auto/cdrom (and /mnt/auto/floppy) which does not actually exist, only /mnt/auto exists.

When i tried (still as root) to mkdir cdrom inside of /mnt/auto it told me "Permission denied".

This is happening to me with both the 2.4.26 and the 2.6.5 kernels. I used knoppix-installer to do the hdinstall, with the debian-style installation. I had originally had this working with the 'beginner-style" installation, but i thought that certain things were not how i would have liked them, so I tried the Debian-style installation instead.

Is this an fstab issue?

my /etc/fstab:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda4 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda2 /boot auto defaults,auto 0 2

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0

anyway, I'm going to continue to beat my brains against this problem until i figure it out, or until i find a thread on a board somewhere that already has... :)

--sarge

mzilikazi
05-20-2004, 07:09 PM
As I recall I had 3.2 or 3.3 working nicely on the hd with a symbolic link to hdc in /dev, I must be getting stupider as the months go by. This time if I have a cd in the drive and click the link on the desktop, or try to mount it from the command line I get the message "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." This was with the easy install and the debian style. My reason for the hd install is to get access to the cd (and dvd) player.

OK I keep seeing the same issue over and over again. It really isn't complicated. When you get "can't seem to find /mnt/cdrom." it just telling you that fstab can't mount the drive on the mount point that it has been told to use. THe proper way to mount a drive

mount /device /mount/point

EXAMPLE:

mount /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb

NOT

mount /dev/hdb

Unless fstab has a definition for /dev/hdb you'll never get it mounted. If you want your cdrom drive mounted on /mnt/cdrom then just make the mount point yourself.

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

You can mount a drive to any mount point you want as long as the mount point actually exists.

mzilikazi
05-20-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm getting the same problem. i've got a CD with a bunch of mp3's on it that I was going to listen to.

in a root shell i tried 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and that didn't work.

There's a good reason for that. An audio cd has no filesystem on it. Since you don't actually mount a drive but rather the filesystem there is no way you can mount an audio cd. (well ok I guess there is some plugin for kde??).

anyway, I'm going to continue to beat my brains against this problem until i figure it out, or until i find a thread on a board somewhere that already has... :)

Quit that! :) You should simply be able to use the cdrom plugin for xmms to listen to your *cough* non-copyrighted material on cd.