PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help please....

jammin
05-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Hello, ive just installed knoppix 3.4 sucsefully onto my hard drive. (my first linux install so please excuse my niavity...)

At first everything was in German. I went to K > Settings > Control Centre > Languages. Ichanged this to English and rebooted.

Everything in the K menu is in english, but Konsole, Gain etc or foriegn, im not even sure if their german, think they might be Check?.

Any help would be appreciated.

I know this has been covered in other posts but im a n00b and get a bit confused. The starnge thing is when booting off the disk using "knoppix lang=en" EVERYTHING was in english.

Im using 3.4. Is a re-install the only way? And if so how do I make 100% sure that all will be in english? Muchos questions I know, any help would be apprectiated.

Thanks.

<edit>

I have magaed to change the language of my konsole to english by edititng /etc/sysconfig/i18n. Problem been when I restart it goes back to the old settings...AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

</edit>

Cuddles
05-16-2004, 05:00 PM
No clue, sorry, but I am still stuck back on v3.3, and in that version, a change made in the Root login through the Control Center, was enough to stick with the languange you picked. But, then again, every user you have had to do the same thing. Interesting what changes I have seen, or heard, were made in the v3.4, some of them don't seem to be "progress", or more likely, why certain things don't work like they used to work anymore, stuff.

Hopefully, someone who is actually running v3.4 can assist on this, until I can get upgraded, I am just going to sit back and learn what I am probably going to have to deal with when I do get to this version....

Ms. Cuddles

drw766
05-16-2004, 05:21 PM
It sounds like you downloaded the original version that was posted prematurely. I had the same problems with the language. Downloading and installing the updated version solved that.

It also sounds like you installed it in "Beginner" mode. That mode has the bad habit of overwriting some of the changes you may make. I reinstalled in "Debian" mode and I like it much better. Whatever I change stays changed.