PDA

View Full Version : trouble playing dvd movie

appie1985
05-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Hello,

I'm having trouble playing a dvd movie at xine media player. When i put the dvd in the player and start the program and then i press the button "dvd" then i get the errormessage "Error reading NAV packet".
So it doesn't work.

Does someone has the solution for this problem?

OErjan
05-16-2004, 03:56 PM
the codecs for comersial dvd's are not on he cd and must be downloded to a hddinstall (klikk might be used, no experience there)

Cuddles
05-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Appie,

OErjan is right, you need to get them, try doing, in the above box at the top of this screen, a "Search Knoppix.net" for "xine" and the lib you are looking for "libdvdcss2" - which is what is needed for dvd playing in Xine...

Or, here is the information I have on the subject, note that this location may be old, or newer versions may exist, but this should get you going:

In a Konsole screen, probably, a root login, and as OErjan said, to get the download, you need to have a hard drive installed Knoppix:

$ wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.8/deb/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
$ dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb

Play the DVD (e.g. with Xine, Ogle, Videolan, Mplayer etc).
If your DVD plays but skips and jumps while playing the dvd, then you probably need to enable dma for the drive.
To see if dma is enabled, log in as root and type: "/sbin/hdparm -d <device name>" For example: "/sbin/hdparm -d /dev/hdc"
To enable dma type: "/sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc"
If you want dma to be enabled automatically then simply add the line "/sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc" to any startup script (/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh for example).
Enjoy watching DVD's in Linux :-)

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

appie1985
05-16-2004, 07:43 PM
I found this article, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1522 .
I've made a copy of the code and saved it as "bashrc" on the desktop. Then i've started the script and i got the message "bash: ./bashrc: Permission denied".

What is the problem? What do i have to do now?

Thanks.

Toosmoky
05-16-2004, 11:24 PM
A lot of people are finding xine and kscd broken with the 2.6 kernel. I've switched to Kaffeine. Plays DVDs and CDs out of the box and all media files bar windows format. And looks good while it does it...

It's based on xine but it works.