PDA

View Full Version : I ve installed knoppix but cant boot

5y573m f41lur3
05-16-2004, 04:15 PM
I ve installed knoppix as a second OS... In my only and single HD C, i installed windows and knoppix.... I ve followed all this procedures:

[HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174

My problems are:

:arrow: I couldnt proceed with step 9

(9) When prompted to make a boot floppy, make sure you make a boot floppy!. It's REQUIRED in a later step.

Because i ve a laptop with a external USB, and when it asked me and i said yes, it couldnt create the boot floppy because its an external and couldnt find it....

As I didnt have the boot floppy, I had to modify this steps:

(10) Once Knoppix setup is done, remove the floppy and reboot. Make sure Windows still works. After doing so, pat yourself on the back... the hardest part is over!!

(11) Next, start up your computer from the boot floppy. It should load the copy of Knoppix that you just installed. If this works, then pat yourself on the back again! You're almost done!

(12) Once Knoppix is running, get to a console/terminal again. Make sure your boot floppy is still inserted!

(13) Issue the command dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1. This will copy the Linux bootsector to a file. Replace hdx# with your installation partition (like hdb2)

(14) Now, insert a blank floppy into your floppy drive. Issue the command mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0. This will format the floppy to a Windows/FAT12 filesystem.

(15) Issue mount /dev/fd0

(16) Now, copy that bootsector image! cp /bootsect.knx /floppy

(17) Take the floppy out. Reboot into Windows.

After the installation was finish, I when to step 13 without rebooting.... And copied the bootsect.knx to an ftp....

(18 ) Copy your bootsect.knx into C:\.

(19) Start a MS-DOS prompt. Type in the following: (each newline = new command)

c:
cd \
attrib -h -r -s boot.ini
copy boot.ini boot.old
notepad boot.ini

(20) Notepad will start, with Boot.ini loaded. Edit the first line, 'Timeout=30'. Change it to 'Timeout=5'. This changes your boot selection timeout to 5 seconds, instead of 30.

(21) At the very end of the file, add C:\bootsect.knx = "Knoppix"

(22) Save the file. Get back to that command prompt. Issue attrib +h +r +s boot.ini.

(23) Reboot. Now, you should have two options: your previous Windows OS and Knoppix. Done!

later i booted windows xp pro, downloaded the bootsect.knx from the ftp site... and followed steps 19-23.....
so when I reboot, and chose knoppix, I only see a black screen and a "_" character at the beginning.... as if the bootsect.knx were empty.... and obvious, it never boots knoppix....

Since so, I cant reboot my knoppix... I'd like to know if there's a way or how can I boot my knoppix ?

Thanks in advance, I hope all you Linux's Gurus can help me :P

maxxedout
05-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Does Knoppix see the floppy drive at all?

If so, run "mkboot -r" to create a boot disk, see man mkboot for more info. Then go back to step 13.

After the installation was finish, I when to step 13 without rebooting.... And copied the bootsect.knx to an ftp....

You didn't have the floppy mounted when trying to make the boot disk did you?

If you were unable to create the boot disk, you basicly copied nothing to the HD.

BD

5y573m f41lur3
05-16-2004, 06:31 PM
When I was installing I didnt have my usb external floppy mounted... The knoppix didnt recognize it...

How can I mount my external usb floppy ? If I mount it before the installation, will it create the boot disk ? Do I ve to install it again and make the boot disk ?

5y573m f41lur3
05-19-2004, 10:01 PM
When I was installing I didnt have my usb external floppy mounted... The knoppix didnt recognize it...

How can I mount my external usb floppy ? If I mount it before the installation, will it create the boot disk ? Do I ve to install it again and make the boot disk ?

mzilikazi
05-19-2004, 10:09 PM
OK I must be missing something. Why do you go through that painful process here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174
when all you have to do is install lilo or grub to mbr???? I just don't get it!

Maybe someone can tell me why this is so hard?

I can't help you w/ your problem unless you just want to install grub.

5y573m f41lur3
05-19-2004, 10:51 PM
ok... so help me to install GRUB ;)

mzilikazi
05-20-2004, 12:04 AM
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48166&highlight=&sid=83c23b4aed83ab3a9faa0faaa9a1e4aa#48166