PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

jshah329
05-16-2004, 11:22 PM
I recently did a HD install of knoppix 3.4 Beta and had a few questions:

My CD + DVD drives dont work, they were working fine with my HD install of 3.3

Is there a way to have Knoppix automount my Archos 20 GB MP3 player?

I made a seperate FAT32 partition when I made a partition for knoppix, can I mount this as /home, and is this recommended/safe? [I plan on using this partition to transfer files to and from WindowsXP]

Thanks for reading, hope somebody can help!

mzilikazi
05-17-2004, 01:26 AM
I recently did a HD install of knoppix 3.4 Beta and had a few questions:

My CD + DVD drives dont work, they were working fine with my HD install of 3.3

Which kernel version are you running?

uname-a

That will decide how your drives are named. You see pre kernel 2.6 you needed scsi emulation. That's no longer necessary. Where are your drives located? /dev/hdb, hdc or hdd?

Is there a way to have Knoppix automount my Archos 20 GB MP3 player?

Well I don't get into the automount myself but if you at least told us how it connects you might get an answer. ;)

I made a seperate FAT32 partition when I made a partition for knoppix, can I mount this as /home, and is this recommended/safe? [I plan on using this partition to transfer files to and from WindowsXP]

Thanks for reading, hope somebody can help!

Don't mount it as /home. That's a bad idea. What you can do tho is mount it somewhere else like ~/shared or where ever you want. Make you own mount point.

jshah329
05-17-2004, 04:17 AM
Kernel version: 2.6 (uname -a responds: "Linux box 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux")

I'm assuming that my drives are mounted in /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom, or /dev/cdromx /dev/cdromx+1 where x can be 0 or 1, as I think this is where they were before but im not sure. (ive tryed playing with the mount command, like trying "mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd" but this gets me "mount: special device /dev/dvd does not exist" --i verified that there is in fact a dvd file in the /dev directory. I also tryed this with the cdrom, playing around with cdaudio, cdrom, cdrom0, an dcdrom1 ie mount /dev/cdaudio /mnt/cd-rw but no luck.

Lol about the archos, I suppose the info you ask for would help...
Its a USB connection. I know it works when I have it plugged in at startup, but can I make it work if I just plug it in (I know this worked in other distros, like Xandros)

Thanks again!

mzilikazi
05-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Kernel version: 2.6 (uname -a responds: "Linux box 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux")

OK. I wish there was a mandatory 'Learn this first' when it comes to mounting drives. (Don't worry not your fault). We use so many symlinks and such that the user often doesn't know what the REAL name of the drive is. SO I'll tell you. :)

Primary Master- /dev/hda
Primary Slave- /dev/hdb
Secondary Master- /dev/hdc
Secondary Slave- /dev/hdd

So your cdrom drive is one of those. Try this:

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
Of course you'll need to have a data disc in the drive to mount it!

Realize that the mount point is trivial. It really doesn't matter. You could do this:

mkdir /stupid
mount /dev/hdb /stupid

As long as you're accessing a REAL device and utilizing a mount point that actually exists you can mount pretty much any drive to any mount point.

I'm assuming that my drives are mounted in /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom

Let's find out.

ls -al /dev/dvd
ls -al /dev/cdrom

That tells you what the symlinks (/dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) are actually pointing to. Why do we use symlinks? Well.....most apps expect your cdrom or dvd-rom or cd-rw or whatever to be called /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd and this way we have uniformity. How to create a symlink?

ln -s (real device) to (symbolic name)

ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvd

Lol about the archos, I suppose the info you ask for would help...
Its a USB connection. I know it works when I have it plugged in at startup, but can I make it work if I just plug it in (I know this worked in other distros, like Xandros)

Thanks again!

OK someone else will have to help out w/ that one as I really dislike automount and simply don't use it.