PDA

View Full Version : Default behavior of Knoppix

mag
12-13-2002, 08:03 PM
First, I'd like to thank Mr. Knoppix for this great distro. I know that I should not be complaining about it because it's primarily intended for CDROM live demo. But since it has a hard drive install capability, I have couple of gripes about it. When you install it to the hard drive, and create a different user other than the default knoppix user, KDE file manager (kfm) always opens up /home/knoppix directory. How can I fix this? Also when I setup printer (HP820C) off of CDROM, it prints perfectly. When installed, it doesn't print at all. How can I fix this? I'm very excited about this distro. It seems to me that it will eventually become a main stream Linux distro. It would be nice if the install process has the ability to add a user not the default knoppix user. Aside from these, the latest release doesn't work for ATI Radeon 128 video card anymore. The release 8-11-2002 works great and sets up video card nicely.

mag

mag
12-14-2002, 03:09 AM
I figured out the answers to the questions that I asked here. For printing: There was a pnm2ppa.config file missing from the /etc. I just created an empty file and then it started printing. For kfm: in my home directory I did a search for an instance of knoppix and replace it with my username and it worked like a charm. This distro is great.

mag

Harlan
12-24-2002, 07:25 AM
First, I'd like to thank Mr. Knoppix for this great distro. I know that I should not be complaining about it because it's primarily intended for CDROM live demo. But since it has a hard drive install capability, I have couple of gripes about it. When you install it to the hard drive, and create a different user other than the default knoppix user, KDE file manager (kfm) always opens up /home/knoppix directory. How can I fix this? Also when I setup printer (HP820C) off of CDROM, it prints perfectly. When installed, it doesn't print at all. How can I fix this? I'm very excited about this distro. It seems to me that it will eventually become a main stream Linux distro. It would be nice if the install process has the ability to add a user not the default knoppix user. Aside from these, the latest release doesn't work for ATI Radeon 128 video card anymore. The release 8-11-2002 works great and sets up video card nicely.

mag

There are a number of problems with larger fonts, fontpaths, and trash directories, that all point to /home/knoppix. If you use kuser to add new users you can deselect "copy skeleton" to aviod the problems you mentioned