PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix couldn't write HDD

isanecat
05-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi all
I have a problem :( But I request your help to solve this.
I have only installed Mandrake 10 on my PC and I couldn't start STARTX interface of mandrake. I have some problems with my Video and Ethernet Card. I tried to solve this problem by downloading some drivers under Live Knoppix CD but I couldn't have write permission to HDD. I had looked up and found a way to have writing permission to HDD. But It couldn't work. As said that I unmounted Hda6 or Hda1 and unclicked option of 'read only' than I mounted the device again. And I saved the downloaded drivers. I can save this drivers but after restart to Mandrake linux-10 and I couldn't see driver files or folders I used. I don't know why knoppix delete these folders or files. Which folder should I use to save. I have to use knoppix live CD to download drivers and I have to back Mandrake 10 and handle these files. I am looking forward your reply. Thank you in advance. Best Regards.
Necat.

fingers99
05-17-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm unsure of exactly what's happening, but I'd suggest that it may be easier to copy the drivers to a floppy than straight to HD.

The video issue doesn't sound, to me, like a driver issue. You might try re-naming /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on your Mandy system (I'm assuming that Mandy uses XF86Config-4 -- check this!) and replacing it with the Knoppix one (which, I assume, works).