PDA

View Full Version : Unmountable Boot Volume

Tekno
05-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Tonight I made up the Bootable Knoppix CD, in hopes of Duplicating what this Fellow Here did:

http://www.sysop.ca/archives/000011.html

I am trying to Recover an NTFS Partition by either Somehow Making it mountable, or lastly, salvaging as many files as I can and do a Reinstall of the Original OS. Do I interpret this fellow was able to do the former and saved most of His Data on the original drive, or did he merely use the Knoppix GUI to move all the Files to another Drive?

I was able to find something in the KNOPPIX Start Menu that refered to NTFS Recover from Microsoft Original Files, and it seemed at one point it Downloaded Updated Files, installed Missing ones , but the drive Still gives the same error Message on boot up. I checked the FAQ, but nothing seemed to explain what this feature does. Can anyone shed some light on what that utility is for? Am I using it for the right job ? Very Impressive CD operating system..... !

:o

mzilikazi
05-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Seems pretty simple to me.
I was able to mount my NTFS partition and recover 99% of my data, I only lost some DV-Editing files and a few programs.

So I copied the remaining bits of my drive up to my new backup server and ran the maxtor utils on my drive.

He just mounted the ntfs drive and copied everything over to another drive. There must be nearly 1000 posts on just that topic here.

Tekno
05-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks - I guess when you are up late working on a problem - theres more Data loss..... :lol: