PDA

View Full Version : Business Card Sized Knoppix?

Zeb
05-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Hey,

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong location of the forums to place this post but I am new here and there were so many that I didn't know which suited best!

Anyway I have not "made" this yet however just wondering if anybody else has and if it is possible or not.

Anyway last time I used Knoppix was two years ago so last night I download 3.4 and see if the thing still brings a smile to my face like before - Any, yes, it sure does!!

Now I have tried this I would really like to have a VERY portable Knoppix to carry round with me ALL the time (It has EVERY kind of software I like and use!) so I thought the best way would be to use one of those credit card sized CD's so then it can just stay in the credit card section of my wallet and be with me whenever it is needed! A quick question before I go further - Would this work and be ok?

Anyway I have no idea how much these credit card sized ones hold but I'm sure it would have to cut Knoppix down alot but would I be able to (Maybe require a bit of help here guys :wink: If I get round to it anyway - Is this easy for a beginner to Linux?).

So I was thinking of doing the following with it - Removing all of the bits currently in it that I don't like such as the favourites, etc, already within software and that thing that loads up on start up - That really isn't required! And of course remove some software yet I don't know which until I know how much I would have to get rid of.

I would then like to have my own splash screen too if I were to do this as I have read it is easy.

Anyway - Now you have heard my idea (Which I'd imagine has been done before) - Is it possible? Is it easy? Would I be able to do the things I wish such as edit splash screen and remove the certain programs and settings,etc that I do not wish to have?

Thanks in advanced for any help on this matter (Would LOVE it is I could do this :D)

Thanks

Dan

OErjan
05-18-2004, 07:41 PM
there is a "remaster" of knoppix called Damn-Small-Linux
fits nicely on a 50Mb creditcard-CD
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
you could likely make your own aswell, or perhaps remaster DSL (should be somewhat less work)?

Ghandalfar
05-18-2004, 11:53 PM
It is possible but it will take you about a month to learn the skills and cut down the extras of knoppix..