PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

ems726
03-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi everyone.
Please excuse me if I am way off the mark here, I am very new to Linux! I also appologize if this topic has been addressed elsewhere on this message board in the past.

Is there a way that the Knoppix version of Linux could be made to include the same feature(s) that enable the SuSE Live_Eval version of Linux to store all of your preferences on the hard-drive of your computer automaticaly each time you run the CD? That would probably be the one thing that would make Knoppix even better to all of us "newbies"!! Think about it:
The first time you load the Knoppix cd into your computer, you go through a quick 5 minute setup. It puts a small file on your hard-drive where it will automaticaly remember all of your preferences and customizations. Now every time you run Knoppix off the cd, it remembers all the settings from your previous session..... no need to use the FloppyConfig option any more! And other than the small file where your preferences are stored (probably 1 or 2 meg), nothing gets installed on your computer's hard-drive.

If anyone here has already done this, please let me know where I can download it from!!!

Again, sorry if I am posting something that has already been a topic of discussion.... I am new to Knoppix Linux, and new to this board.

Thank you!
Michael

god
03-05-2003, 10:44 PM
search the forum for persistant home.

Robert Michel
03-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Salve Michael!

The first time you load the Knoppix cd into your computer, you go through a quick 5 minute setup. It puts a small file on your hard-drive where it will automaticaly remember all of your preferences and customizations. Now every time you run Knoppix off the cd, it remembers all the settings from your previous session.....

AFAIK is there only yet the skript to store your configuration on
fd on the KNOPPIX-CD. This is in the doc-wiki:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing
still unanswerd:
"Q: How do I save my preferences (language, UI...) at the end of my session, when booting from CD? How do I restore them?
A: ..."
Can someone give add an answer to the wiki?
I haven't a fd to test this:
-> K -> Knoppix -> Configurations -> save KNOPPIX configurations

To start Knoppix with the configurations stored on fd,
use the option "knoppix floppyconfig" at boot time
- press F2 at boot time to get this tip.

Original Knoppix should be a live-system without hd-installations.
If you whant to boot KNOPPIX with configurations stored on hd,
where get KNOPPIX the informations where the conifg-file is laying
on the hd?
IMHO would a scan of all partitions for a file KNOPPIX.config take
more time than to reconfigure it ;)
So I would guess there will be no automatik way for finding the
config file. The path to it must be given manualy at boot-time
or be written as option to the boot-loader.

But I wonder what you are writing about Suse-Live system. If the
config file is not stored on a fd, and be refound automaticaly,
this sound interesting. Somethink to check out and to be report
in this thread.

Greetings
rob