PDA

View Full Version : To "apt-get update" or not?, that is the question

timread
05-18-2004, 04:18 PM
I have done a hd-install of Knoppix v3.4 and everything is working just fine (in fact just perfectly), and I was wondering whether I should do an apt-get update periodically to keep things upto date.

Since v3.4 is based upon Sid, which is unstable, isn't it potentially very dangerous to update (being a beginner)?

After all, if it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of updating periodically?

Thanks

Tim

TimWhite
05-18-2004, 05:01 PM
If you don't update, you'll potentially miss out on security patches.
If you do update, you'll potentially break stuff. Normally, broken stuff gets fixed though.

On balance, I'd update.

--
TimW

mzilikazi
05-18-2004, 05:59 PM
I have done a hd-install of Knoppix v3.4 and everything is working just fine (in fact just perfectly), and I was wondering whether I should do an apt-get update periodically to keep things upto date.

Since v3.4 is based upon Sid, which is unstable, isn't it potentially very dangerous to update (being a beginner)?

After all, if it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of updating periodically?

Thanks

Tim

You absolutely have to do apt-get update or apt won't work. ;)
I think what you meant is apt-get upgrade and yes do it. You can however edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and change /etc/apt/apt.conf and decicde what you'd like to upgrade to.

Cuddles
05-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Good point mzilikazi,

I noticed the mistake on the apt-get issue, and was thinking the same thing... You have to do a apt-get update, its the apt-get upgrade that could be a concern.

I do the apt-get update, any time I want to install, or search, or packages that I may want to use/find, its the apt-get upgrade I don't do. (1) being I have only had bad luck with it, and (2) I am currently running v3.3, which is one "main" version behind what is current.

If I did a apt-get upgrade at this time, I would be throwing in a whole host of possible problems in breaking pipes and dependancies. I would consider doing a apt-get upgrade is I knew I was current with what is currently out, its an easy way to keep yourself current, that way you don't get into where I am at...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles