PDA

View Full Version : how do I update the output of dpkg -l?

andymadigan
05-18-2004, 09:03 PM
I have made quite a few modifications to my Knoppix Hard Drive install, yet dpkg -l still lists packages that I know I removed
(I try apt-get remove and it tells me the package is already gone), how do I update the output of dpkg -l to reflect the removed packages?

note: dpkg -l is the same as dpkg --list

Markus
05-18-2004, 09:35 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I've noticed that when I use "apt-get --purge remove package" dpkg doesn't list it anymore. Omitting --purge, dpkg will list the package as removed with an "rc" instead of "ii" at the left. Usually when I know I don't want a package back I use --purge to remove all config files for it as they're not needed anymore.

Markus
05-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Hmm, just tested with COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep -w rc and found one I hadn't purged.
rc libmagick6.0.1 6.0.0.2-1 Image manipulation library (free version)
Doing dpkg --purge libmagick6.0.1 removed all configuration files for it and it doesn't show anymore. A bit of work if you have a lot of packages removed but not purged so hopefully someone else knows a handier solution.

Durand Hicks
05-19-2004, 04:57 AM
I use a variant of dpkg to list installed files. I use:
dpkg --get-selections to output a list of installed files. It tells me if some were removed but not purged; look for any line that says deinstall next to the package name.

HTH,

Durand

Stephen
05-19-2004, 09:15 AM
I have made quite a few modifications to my Knoppix Hard Drive install, yet dpkg -l still lists packages that I know I removed
(I try apt-get remove and it tells me the package is already gone), how do I update the output of dpkg -l to reflect the removed packages?

note: dpkg -l is the same as dpkg --list

Have you used dselect update to update the dpkg/dselect database with the changes?

Markus
05-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Have you used dselect update to update the dpkg/dselect database with the changes?

It reads installed files as well? :shock:
I always use it instead of apt-get update but I thought dselect update only reads what's on the web and overwrites apts available list as a bonus.