PDA

View Full Version : Can't get past first base.

Rink
05-18-2004, 10:47 PM
The installer says "The installer detected that the installation requirements are not fullfilled yet" and pushes me back to cfdisk.

I am trying to install on a 13.6 Gig Maxtor.

I did intend to split this up to a /home directory and a root directory, but the installer will not accept this.

I am now trying to install to 13 odd gig with 3 swap partitions of 131Meg each.

Installer won't let me proceed.

Any ideas?

IsaacKuo
05-19-2004, 12:18 AM
3 swap partitions? There's no point in having more than one swap partition.

What version of Knoppix are you using and what are you using to install with, anyway? The prefered hard drive install script in 3.3-3.4 is knoppix-installer, which uses QTParted for partitioning.

Anyway, you need one swap patition--1 Gig would be good--and one ext3 or ext2 partition. This Linux partition should be at least 2Gigs in size; make it 3 Gigs for good measure. Partition the rest of the disc with your future /home partition. (Don't worry about it until later.)

With QTParted, you may find yourself unable to write to the disc if you accidentally have a swap partition but still need to make an ext2/3 partition. In that case, one thing you can do is reboot and use the cheatcode "knoppix noswap" so that Knoppix doesn't interfere with repartitioning. Then use QTParted to create the other partitions. Depending on how much RAM you have, you may need to reboot again in order to run knoppix-installer (it needs a total of 512megs of RAM+swap, IIRC, so you may need the swap).

mzilikazi
05-19-2004, 12:30 AM
The installer says "The installer detected that the installation requirements are not fullfilled yet" and pushes me back to cfdisk.

I am trying to install on a 13.6 Gig Maxtor.

I did intend to split this up to a /home directory and a root directory, but the installer will not accept this.

I am now trying to install to 13 odd gig with 3 swap partitions of 131Meg each.

Installer won't let me proceed.

Any ideas?

Isaac is right- you need 512M ram (system ram/swap combined). You can put /home on a seperate partition quite easily.

sudo knoppix-installer
configure installation
Quit
'YES' (to save config)
xedit .knofig

Then just add your partition to HD_MAP="" Like so:
HD_MAP="/dev/hda5:/home"

Rink
05-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Hmmm.

I was alway informed that it was pointless having a swap partition over 128 Meg.

And, if you think you need more, to add partitions rather than increase the size of the swap.

But if you guys are telling me this isn't so....

Rink
05-19-2004, 09:02 AM
KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.iso knoppix-installer doesn't use QTParted.

Okay, dropped the 3 swaps thing, installing to 13193.35M Bootable linux (83), swap 419.5M(82), installer still doesn't like it. Impasse. Currently downloading V3.3.

Rink
05-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Okay, I get it now.

I've been using the console installer from CONTROL-ALT-F2.

Using the installer from within X did produce QTParted.