PDA

View Full Version : HD upgrade

Jimmmac
05-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Good evening.

My computer is set up with a bunch of partitions so that I can work with various distributions. My main one is Xandros. One is Knoppix. When I installed it, I had it boot with a diskette. Now with 3.4, I understand that the files needed are too big for a diskette. I would like to upgrade my Knoppix 3.3 to 3.4 but keep my present Xandros Lilo setup. I was wondering if this is possible and how to do the upgrade and keep my present lilo setup. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jim Macdonald
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl.

mzilikazi
05-19-2004, 12:38 AM
But of course it is. Just add an entry to lilo.conf for Knoppix.

Dr U
05-19-2004, 12:13 PM
The files for 3.4 are too big for a floppy disk?? :shock: That's news to me :arrow: I have a HD install of 3.4 (Kanotix remaster) and use a boot floppy. 8) Where did you get this information? Maybe the Kanotix remaster I use is an exception. :?:

- Dr U

Jimmmac
05-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi mzilikazi and Dr U

Thanks for your responses. If Knoppix 3.4 will boot off a diskette, that would be great. Just in case it doesn't, here is my entry in lilo.conf for Knoppix.

image=/disks/debian/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Debian_GNU
root=/dev/hdd2
initrd=/disks/debian/boot/initrd.gz
read-only

Right now, this will not boot off the Xandros lilo menu without the diskette. Would either of you know how I would change this so that it would? Thanks again for your responses.

Jim Macdonald

m_yates
05-20-2004, 03:41 PM
While running Xandros, did you try running the command "lilo" after making the entry to lilo.conf? When you run lilo, it should say added Debian_GNU, or give some error as to why it didn't add it.

Jimmmac
05-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Hi m_yates

Thanks for your response. I did change the devices.inf to say Knoppix and it stayed for a while, but then just went back to the Debian_GNU for some reason. Knoppix creates the entry in lilo.conf from the devices.inf. Probably some update. I should go back in and fix it. Thanks.

Jim

Dr U
05-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi, Jimmmac!

Sorry, but I cannot help you with lilo :arrow: I don't use it. I'm sure that the experts around here can give you the solution!! Good luck!

- Dr U