PDA

View Full Version : Boot init2, login as user:go passwd:go and telnet to Mybox

Phredd
03-05-2003, 11:27 PM
I need to create a knoppix disk that will boot up to init2 - console only -(no X needed ever)...AUTOMAGICALLY login as user "go" with a pw of "go" and then telnet to MyBox (192.168.1.1 - where, insidentally the 'security happens'.)

Can all of this be acomplished by floppyconfig or will I need to remaster.?..also the people using this will not be comptuer literate...(they are plumbers i.e. having them type "knoppix 2" may be a bit much!

I am computer literate and have used Knoppix in the past but have not remastered (it looks to be a bit daunting!)

You guys rock!

mabhatter
03-06-2003, 03:48 PM
First, what are you telneting to? are the plumbers using the CLI or is it doing something else.

Anyway, you should basicly write down all the steps you need to do in the CLI. The only thing I have a question about is where to put the runlevel=2 in the file.

Go into the normal KDE and set everything up, then create the config floppy. On the floppy, open the knoppix.sh file and add in everything you did from the command line. In most cases it's exactly the same as you would type. Some commands don't work exactly the same in a shell--when you use CLI they can assume certian things from other programs you've ran before [or automaticaly turned on buy something else] that you may have to call out in a script. There may be some things extra to add because your shortcutting the KDE setup which seems to be grabbing most of the stored settings. i.e. you may have to explicitly define the network config, ip, users, passwords, etc. cause the setup tool for those hasen't run yet.

For the most part, if you can do it from the command line, you can script it. It sounds cliche, but coming from windows h#!!, it's really so much easier!! I added a bunch of Samba mounts to mine for network shares, and it works great.

Thinking about it, this will still leave you having to type "floppyconfig" at start-up and you want it to be 1-button. Then, you may have to write the knoppix.sh and then burn it to the disk [there's a little space available.] to get it to start automatically. Check around, cause I've seen it posted here somewhere.

Phredd
03-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Anyone know, when remastering, how to force a boot into init 3? (just the console ma'am).

Long live Knoppix (and stuff)!

(oh yeah...and bomb the ba'jesus out of Saddam...ever wonder why the protesters never denounce Saddam's pro-war actions? Hmmm.)

daviddst
03-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi,

In order to change the runlevel at boot, edit /etc/inittab.

You should have something like that : id:5:initdefault:

Change 5 by 3.

--
David

Phredd
03-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Worked like a champ!