PDA

View Full Version : Desktop icons

oldgeezer
05-19-2004, 01:47 PM
I managed to change the desktop icons OK, but when I changed the Opera one, the Thunderbird and Firefox both changed to the big-O, too, presumably because they are classed as executable browser types? Curious. What am I doing wrong, please?
OG.

CrashedAgain
05-19-2004, 11:40 PM
What procedure are you using to change the icons? If you are using 'r-click on the icon, select properties, click on the icon, select a new one' it seems really strange that it would change anything except the selected desktop link (icon).

fingers99
05-20-2004, 01:05 AM
To me too.

BTW, is this the CrashedAgain from LFX? (Seem to remember oldgeezer from somewhere, too.......)

CrashedAgain
05-20-2004, 02:28 AM
yep, same CrashedAgain. I'm CrashedAgain everywhere I can be as I'm also enough of an old geezer to not want to have to remember too many handles.

oldgeezer
05-20-2004, 06:57 AM
Yes - right click to change the icon. I can change any one of these to the correct icon from the apps list but all of them are changed upon restarting. There must be some way of pinning a specific icon to a specific application rather than a type of app to which the icon defaults??
OG.

CrashedAgain
05-20-2004, 11:01 PM
... all of them are changed upon restarting.

This is not the same as :

....when I changed the Opera one, the Thunderbird and Firefox both changed to the big-O, too, presumably because they are classed as executable browser types?

For the former, (..all are changed on restarting), what mode is your HDinstall (Debian style or Knoppix style). Knoppix style resets a lot of stuff to default settings with each restart, not sure if it resets desktop icons but maybe it does.

For the latter, (...change one & it changes others), I still don't understand how this could occur. Each desktop 'link' is it's own separate file & they are not related in any way. You can view the actual file...rt-click, open with a text editor (Kwrite or whatever). You can also edit the settings this way.

oldgeezer
05-21-2004, 07:19 AM
They were intended to mean the same thing!
I used the knx-hdinstall routine since I experienced endless difficulties with the knoppix-installer script.
I don't understand what is going on here, hence my enquiry!
Any more suggestions, please?
OG.

Markus
05-21-2004, 07:51 AM
I remember having the same thing happen when I've dragged icons from the menu to the desktop and choosing copy. If I created the desktopicons from scratch they didn't change. This was with 3.3 september something.

pulsar
05-21-2004, 09:09 AM
I have a somewhat similar problem. Changed icons as wel as changed icon-names are not saved. After the next boot the original icons and names return.

Markus
05-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Have you checked ~/.kde/Autostart/ for something like sorticons?
Not sure about the folder or filename??? (I'm in windows)

oldgeezer
05-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Seem to have stumbled on a 'feature' ?! What do the gurus have to say?
OG.

Cuddles
05-21-2004, 04:52 PM
:shock:
(I'm not responding because I'm a guru, because I'm not, I am just interested in seeing this resolved)

Only thing I can think of... Could the "change" OldGeezer made in the icon association for the "single" program, been made "global"?

You get this kind of problem in Windows, since it is so extension based in its associations. You change, or a program changes, an association to a file type, and every occurance then shows for that program. Like Real One Player, it sets a host of file type extension associations, some of which, are lame to have to open Real One for. (e.g. WAV files)

This may not be the answer, but, in Windows, I had a program set a file type association for ICO, or icon, files, so, when I looked at them in Windows Explorer they only had an icon of this program, not what they used to show (the actual icon picture).

Does a file association exist for a "global" executable, or script, file type? Could OldGeezer have stumbled into setting this file association, and now all file types of "this" are showing the icon for only one of these "this"? If this is true, can't the file association be deleted, and thus, everything go back to a "ground zero" setting? Don't know how this could have happened, unless you were in the "file association" changes, and changed a icon for something like "html" or something - i.e. a "global" file type change.

I don't have an answer, just trying to give ideas, and possible avenues of resolve,
Ms. Cuddles

oldgeezer
05-23-2004, 07:36 AM
Update: What I described only appears to happen when operating as root??? [Yes, I know, I've read about security, etc., but this machine isn't connected very much and then only by DUN in short bursts, has no secure info on it, etc. Tell me about W98 security!]
OG.

CrashedAgain
05-24-2004, 06:46 AM
perhaps Markus hints at the right solution. Try making your own links (rt-click on the desktop, create-new link to application. Cut/paste the link 'execute' from the original).
I use to copy links from the main menu (drag & drop) but I then found that as user I did not have the permissions to modify them. I 'solved' that one by opening the link in a text editor & save as a new name then I could modify the new one. A lot of odd happenings in Linux turn out to be permission issues.
Also, if you do a lot of editing which require root permissions a good idea is to create a link to 'RootKonqueror' and 'RootKate'. Just links to the regular applications but check off 'run as different user'--root. Then you can be running as user but have easy access to root. Remember if you set up things as root (bookmarks, email addresses etc) these settings are not available to user.