PDA

View Full Version : n00b needs help setting up 2.6.5 kernel in knoppix 3.4 pleas

jammin
05-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Hello.

I have recently installed knoppix, and my word I LIKE. Its my first linux OS and im impressed.

apt-get is a gift from god.

Im also really impressed with K-Develop, very nice.

Being a linux n00b im a bit wary about installing a new kernal, but would love to learn how. I think 2.6.5 is allready installed as in /boot/ there is both vmlinuz-2.4.26 and 2.6.5.

Maybe this is asking tooo much but a step by step guide to doing this in knoppix would be very nice!

Thanks.

mzilikazi
05-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I have no idea about the kernel image you already see in /boot. Presumably you could just add an entry to your boot loader. Realize however you may need to rebuild some drivers. Again, I really don't know.

It's really quite easy to build a new kernel under Debian

apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.5
cd /usr/src
tar xjvf kernel-source-2.6.5
ln -s kernel-source-2.6.5 linux
cd linux
make menuconfig
make-kpkg buildpackage -rev Custom.1 kernel_image
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.5_Custom.1_i386.deb
dpkg -i kernel-source-2.6.5_Custom.1_i386.deb
dpkg -i kernel-headers-2.6.5_Custom.1_i386.deb
update-grub
You don't have to use a revision of Custom.1 you can use anything you want. If you find that you need to rebuild your kernel fret not

cd linux
make clean
make menuconfig
make-kpkg buildpackage kernel_image

Notice I didn't specify a version for the rebuild. It will automatically use the same revision and you won't have to change your boot loader. Don't be suprised if your new kernel doesn't work. It takes a little practice to get all the config options right. OF course that's not to say you won't get it right the first time. :)

fingers99
05-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Take a look here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8171

BTW, do people think it'd be worthwhile moving that stuff over to the Wiki/Docs?

aay
05-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Take a look here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8171

BTW, do people think it'd be worthwhile moving that stuff over to the Wiki/Docs?

If it works ok, then sure. I'm sure it would be a help to others even though 2.6 is now included in 3.4.

adam