PDA

View Full Version : Having problems starting Knoppix...

grayfox777
05-20-2004, 03:12 AM
I've never tried Linux before, but I would really like to do so. However, I'm having problems getting this OS started.
---
Computer 1
When I get past the boot prompt, I get this message:

You have passed an undefined mode number. Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs

I try all the options for the video numbers (0 through 6, i think it is), and I try the scan. I also tried skipping the video mode list.... but no matter what, the OS won't start. It gives me a blank screen.

I've checked the md5 checksums, and everything's fine there. Also, I did burned the disc as an ISO image file. I didn't extract.
---
Computer 2
Here's what happens... I get the message about the undefined mode number. When I get past that, this is what happens..............

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit.

Additional builtin commands available

cat mount unmount
insmod rmmod lsmod

Knoppix#

I get a prompt right after "Knoppix#".
---
Computer 3
Cloop errors. Knoppix does not start.
---
I verified the md5s, which were identical. Also, I burned it three different times, but neither cd seems to work. I even made the third burn on computer 2, but I'm still having the same exact problems. =/

Anyone have some help to offer? thanks in advance!

grayfox777
05-23-2004, 08:32 PM
I got Knoppix-STD and Damn Small Linux working, but I still can't get 3.4 to work.
maybe I should post some info on my system... (Computer 1)
Gateway Solo 1450 Laptop
1.2 ghz Pentium III
256 mb RAM
64mb video - Intel Graphics Controller
wireless network connection

grayfox777
05-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Please help! >_<

softwaretester
05-28-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm guessing it doesn't like the VGA text mode.

So, try stuff like
knoppix vga=1
or 2 or 3 or 4 etc.

Also, does it support standard modes, such as 1024x768 800x600

then you could do a
knoppix screen=800x600 noddc
(noddc turns off monitor detection)

I remember seeing a lookup table for VGA modes which would force the linux kernel to use certain resolutions color depths by using vga=xxx where xxx is a number like 792

found it
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/11/wessels_fbdev_grub.html

grayfox777
05-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks, I shall try your suggestions then report my results. Hopefully it will work. >_>

grayfox777
05-30-2004, 09:26 PM
No luck.... -_-

softwaretester
05-31-2004, 02:25 AM
No luck.... -_-

did you boot up with
knoppix testcd
to make sure the disk was good?

On my home systems, I find that my laptop doesn't like media burned on Memorex disks, but is happy with knoppix cd's burned to noname disks.(even if I burn the memorex disks slow, doesn't help)

so, maybe try a different brand of media.

grayfox777
06-05-2004, 06:54 AM
k.... I'll try tomorrow... well later today, rather.