PDA

View Full Version : Saving settings in Knoppix?

biscuits91
05-20-2004, 05:11 PM
I am brand new to Knoppix and I have read the FAQ's but I haven't seen any info on saving my settings when i log off Knoppix. Everytime I use Knoppix I have set up my email again, the desktop i set is back to the original. Is there a way to use your hard disk to save these settings without having to install the whole thing on my hard drive?

Cuddles
05-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Not sure what version you are running, you didn't say, but, you should be able to use the "Save Configuration Settings" from within the KMenu --> Knoppix --> Configuration (this is from a menu of Knoppix v3.3, so it may not be "exactly" the same in other versions)

Saving configuration files will be placed on a hard drive (of your choice), in the top level directory of that drive, named, last I knew, "knoppix.xxx" (not sure on the extension of the file)

From what I know, this drive, or partition, should be a FAT, and not NTFS structure (formatted).

Again, from what I know, this "Save Config", should save the settings from the user "knoppix", and not sure if this includes the "root" user, or not ( I stand corrected, if it does or doesn't )

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles