PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix login

daviddst
03-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi,

I want to avoid to be automaticately login under command prompt (when I boot with run level 1,2 or 3).

What is the best way to do that ?

--

When I put noeject on the kernel boot prompt, the CD is eject (it shouldn't do that)

--

I don't want to have to press a key when I reboot Knoppix S90knoppix-reboot, but I don't see what I've to remove.

Thank you help.

Knoppix is a very good project :-).

zenon3
03-06-2003, 08:49 PM
>I want to avoid to be automaticately login under command prompt (when I boot with run level >1,2 or 3).
>
>What is the best way to do that ?

Modify your /etc/inittab. I think you're looking for something like the following:

# What to do in single-user mode.
~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1

# Format:
# <id>:<runlevels>:<action>:<process>
# 4 virtual consoles with immortal shells
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4

You probably need to tweak the above, but that is the inittab modifications I made to remove autologin on the command line.

--

> When I put noeject on the kernel boot prompt, the CD is eject (it shouldn't do that)
>
Works for me....

--

> I don't want to have to press a key when I reboot Knoppix S90knoppix-reboot, but I don't > see what I've to remove.
>
I would like this too. After disabling xsession in /etc/inittab, I have had it reboot without pressing return, but I would like to know how to do it in combination with X.
I suspect it's in the Knoppix specific /sbin/init? It's mentioned in /etc/init.d/knoppix-halt. If anyone finds the answer, please post it.

zenon3
03-06-2003, 09:31 PM
<previous post>
I don't want to have to press a key when I reboot Knoppix S90knoppix-reboot, but I don't see what I've to remove.
</previous post>

I'm answering my own question here. I was right. There is a knoppix specific /etc/init. I moddified /etc/init.d/knoppix-halt(knoppix-reboot is a symlink of knoppix-halt) to prevent the use of the knoppix specific /etc/init. I commented out a couple lines to look like the following:

# Note: This needs the KNOPPIX version of static "init" which contains
# the "halt" command plus rmmod/umount calls
FINALCMD="/sbin/$command"
#if [ -z "$INSTALLED" ]; then
[ -x /etc/init ] || cp -p /sbin/init /etc/
[ -x /etc/init ] && FINALCMD="/etc/init"
#fi

This prevents the "Press return" message. However, I don't know what the further ramifications of this are. I have not noticed anything amiss as a result, but there is more than "Press return" in the knoppix specific /etc/init. Maybe someone closer to the project could elaborate?