PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix with reiser4 support- does one exist?

wrc1944
05-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Has anyone created, or know of a custom Knoppix 3.4 with a 2.6 kernel with reiser4 support? I use Knoppix to install Gentoo, as I'm on dialup only, and it makes it pretty easy, but I'd like to try reiser4 on root.

There is a minimal Gentoo live cd with reiser4 support created by Redeeman, with his own kernel, but it has no ppp networking, any Gentoo stages, or wvdial on it, and after I create the reiser4 partitions I can't boot to Knoppix and access the Gentoo partition, as Knoppix doesn't read/write to reiser4. Also, the Redeeman live-cd doesn't seem able to see my other reiser3 partitions, so I can't copy packages from them either.

The ideal solution would be to boot to the Redeeman cd and create the reiser4 partitions, do the first part of my Gentoo install, and then use a customized Knoppix "reiser4" live cd to get internet access or copy packages from another partition, and finish up the Gentoo install. This is my normal way of Gentoo installation.

I've looked for an already made Knoppix custom, but haven't found one yet. Before I try to build one, I'd like to know if it's even possible, and if not, why not? I've been reading some how-tos on Knoppix remastering, and they look pretty involved, and I'd rather avoid spending days figuring them out, if there is already such a custom Knoppix reiser4 cd available somewhere.

Thanks,
wrc1944

bushwacka
05-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Little bump, as I also would like to see a 2.6 kernel with reiser4 knoppix CD.

wrc1944
05-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Well, I haven't located a knoppix reiser4 yet, and don't think there is one. The more I read the remastering and custom Knoppix kernel articles, the more difficult it seems. I suppose once the namesys guys actually release reiser4 final, we'll start seeing some Knoppix-like live-cds released.

If Redeeman would include wvdial and ppp support and a Gentoo stage one or two on his reiser4 live-cd, my problems would be solved. I still haven't figured out how to make a working reiser4 customized live-cd myself, but will keep working on it.

And, I still can't understand why his live-cd doesn't see my reiser3 partitions.

wrc1944

wrc1944
05-26-2004, 10:24 PM
I think this may be what I was talking about. I am concerned that while it has reiser4progs, it doesn't seem to have libaal. Would that matter?

http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=1074

http://kanotix.com/files/kanotix/kanotix-packages.html

Any comments on this, or anyone have experience with this live-cd?

Thanks,
wrc1944