PDA

View Full Version : How to autostart Samba ???

heldersepu
05-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Networking knoppix and windows is not complicated
here is a very good explanation
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick
but...
A lot of typing and time consuming, I'm trying to make it automatic.
I include the smb.conf in the ISO {properly configured to share the Complete FileSystem}
and edited the Autorun.Bat {originally it starts the Index}

this is my autorun.bat

rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf
cp smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/init.d/samba start

Burned the ISO and... it did NOT work as I expected
Frustration yeahh a lot...
anyone can give me a hand??? I really apreciate it!!!
HelderSepu@yahoo.com
HelderSepu@hotmail.com

CrashedAgain
05-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Networking knoppix and windows is not complicated
here is a very good explanation
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick
but...
A lot of typing and time consuming, I'm trying to make it automatic.
I include the smb.conf in the ISO {properly configured to share the Complete FileSystem}
and edited the Autorun.Bat {originally it starts the Index}

this is my autorun.bat

rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/init.d/samba start

Burned the ISO and... it did NOT work as I expected

I don't think your autorun.bat is correct.

rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf - this line will remove the existing file /etc/samba/smb.conf

cp smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf - this line will attempt to copy smb.conf to /etc/samba/smb.conf... but what is the source file smb.conf it is trying to copy? If it has no source file you will be left with no /etc/samba/smb.conf file since the first line removed it.

If you have already made an /etc/samba/smb.conf correctly configured for file sharing using share level permissions instead of the default user level, and burned it to your new iso, it should not be necessary to remove/edit/copy it again.

/etc/init.d/samba start - this line just starts samba.

Question: when you boot up Knoppix (no other changes), is your /etc/samba/smb.conf correctly set up for filesharing? If it is, all you should have to do is start samba.

Question: when you are up and running with the new iso, if you go through the whole procedure manually, does it work? If it does, your setup is OK, just burn your iso with /etc/samba/smb.conf already correct. Then all you have to do is start samba.

heldersepu
05-26-2004, 07:01 AM
First of all Thanks for your Interest...
Let's get to the point FOR SURE my autorun.bat is not working
in the original ISO does not exist any "smb.conf" or "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
actually there are just a few folders the only one I changed was the Folder "Talks" that is useless for me because I don't know German, so... I delete that folder and all the PDFs

Answer 1: After I boot up the /etc/samba/smb.conf still the original, not the one I made. --> this means that the first line in the autoexec didn't remove a shit

Answer 2: Up and running with "the new ISO"
I open the root shell
delete "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
copy the file "smb.conf" to "/etc/samba"
start samba
All perfect !!!!!

I'm going to read more about ".bat" files See U around..

[/quote]

I don't think your autorun.bat is correct.

rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf - this line will remove the existing file /etc/samba/smb.conf

cp smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf - this line will attempt to copy smb.conf to /etc/samba/smb.conf... but what is the source file smb.conf it is trying to copy? If it has no source file you will be left with no /etc/samba/smb.conf file since the first line removed it.

If you have already made an /etc/samba/smb.conf correctly configured for file sharing using share level permissions instead of the default user level, and burned it to your new iso, it should not be necessary to remove/edit/copy it again.

/etc/init.d/samba start - this line just starts samba.

Question: when you boot up Knoppix (no other changes), is your /etc/samba/smb.conf correctly set up for filesharing? If it is, all you should have to do is start samba.

Question: when you are up and running with the new iso, if you go through the whole procedure manually, does it work? If it does, your setup is OK, just burn your iso with /etc/samba/smb.conf already correct. Then all you have to do is start samba.[/quote]

baldyeti
05-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Autostart.bat is just what gets started when a knoppix CD is inserted in a machine running windows. It's got absolutely nothing to do with what's executed under linux. Different OS, different conventions. I suggest you read a little about knoppix.sh or full remastering with customisation of system services startup.

heldersepu
05-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Autostart.bat is just what gets started when a knoppix CD is inserted in a machine running windows. It's got absolutely nothing to do with what's executed under linux. Different OS, different conventions. I suggest you read a little about knoppix.sh or full remastering with customisation of system services startup.

Hello hell0 He11O
I realize that it work under Linux because I love to experiment, so I did this….
Originally the autorun.bat was
@echo Lade "index.html"...
@start index.html
@exit

I did this…
Open the ISO
Modify the “autorun.bat” to :
@echo Hello World Knoppix Rocks ...
@start knoppix/index_en.html
@exit
Burn the New ISO, boot up the PC with the new CD and a New Page at Start UP!!!!
How can it work ?.?......?...?

heldersepu
05-26-2004, 02:54 PM

OOOO00000ooooo
I forgot to ask U where can I find more about knoppix.sh or full remastering with customization of system services startup??
Thanks in Advance

CrashedAgain
05-30-2004, 03:23 PM
as baldyeti said, Autostart.bat is just what gets started when a knoppix CD is inserted in a machine running windows.
It will change the default startup file but nothing else.
Once Linux is up and running, autostart is a thing of the past.

On of the best resources for an overall understanding of how a Linux system operates is Paul Sheer's 'Rute'. (download from http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html)

-knoppix.sh (or any file that ends with .sh) is a shell script...sort of a super .bat file for Linux. You can find a lot of these files all over you system. Browse around & read them.

-full remastering with customization of system services startup...try the Docs section at the top header for this site. You will find that to actually make changes to the Knoppix system, you have to copy the Knoppix system to your HD, make your changes, make a new compressed Knoppix file, make a new iso CD image & then burn that to CD.

user unknown
05-30-2004, 04:37 PM

This will copy the file (if any) smb.conf from the $PWD (present working directory).

If invoked from a script, the $PWD is the $PWD, from where the script was called, as long as no 'cd' command changed the $PWD in the script.