PDA

View Full Version : MediaPackKnoppix

god
03-06-2003, 06:24 PM
I am planning on making a multimedia knoppix.

I will add things like filmgimp, and virtual heroine....

Any thing else that would be nice to have on on?

Any other modifications off the stock knoppix?
This is going to be a demo disk to show off the power of linux, by giving some of my friends(and others) the ability to make music videos, using high quality programs that are not compairable to anything free in the windows world...

agent
03-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Great idea but its missing somehting.... GAMES!

Phredd
03-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Pls add ogle and ogle_gui!

god
03-06-2003, 10:57 PM
Great idea but its missing somehting.... GAMES!

The first gen- cd is based off of knoppix, and I only removed the games needing gnome....

I also added tux racer, and I am thinking about adding some more opensource games... list some you would like to see.

god
03-06-2003, 10:59 PM
Pls add ogle and ogle_gui!
they are now on the list... I am considering adding this to it....

http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 I am debateing if i should try or not....

god
03-09-2003, 02:14 AM
The first release of mediapackknoppix is finished.
it has,
ogle
ogle gui
cinelerra
mplayer
xmovie
tkpaint
filmgimp

and all the original graphical and multimedia tools of the orginal knoppix. I cut the Koffice and OO.o, as well as gnome.

I am looking for a server to host a copy on as well as a small site for it... any suggestions?

ciapek79
03-09-2003, 12:25 PM
How much disk space do You need on a server ?

god
03-09-2003, 08:00 PM
i am thinking about 1500 mb..... just enough for two isos at a time and a decent page....

I figure I can but the current iso up, then when the next revision comes out put that one up, and then stop sharing the old one as soon as all users disconnect.... this is not a huge project at this time.. mainly some light mods of the original knoppix.

For any one interestted, I am currently getiing MythTv working... seems i need to learn a bit of mySQL to get it going.....

After that, I will be working on a clusterable DVD ripper to go with the clustering movie editor/renderer I already have on there.

ciapek79
03-09-2003, 11:32 PM
i am thinking about 1500 mb.....

It is too lot :(

I am currently getiing MythTv working...

What do You thing about Freevo ?

Could You add Lirc to Your project ?

god
03-10-2003, 01:24 AM
i am more than willing to see about adding those two.. I will look into it, at least....

god
03-10-2003, 01:55 AM
freevo is in the next version... i already installed it.

ciapek79
03-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Could I download your project ? Where is it ?

Thank's a lot

god
03-10-2003, 05:47 PM
The freevo edition is not complete yet... I am still working on getting freevo set up to work in the presence os a ram disk... also, I have no ftp to store it on.... I am thinking that tonight I will get around to writing a mini-howto on getting freevo setup, throw that on the disk, and create the iso... this is still a very rough-cut remaster... I plan on releasing often, and polishing as i go.

Phredd
03-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Dear god, Thank you for mommy, daddy, grandma, grandpa and freevo knoppix!

Where can we git it?!?

god
03-10-2003, 09:30 PM
I hate to burst the bubbles... but i dont have a server to use yet.. AND i just found a kink or two with the freevo... I need to recompile it, and install a few simlinks and make a new setup guide for it...

alexferrer
04-01-2003, 12:15 AM
It would be pretty cool to make a knoppix - cinelerra renderfarm disk!

Just load it on all the unused computers on the network and bingo a renderfarm!!

So where can we download it from??

god
04-01-2003, 03:39 AM
i have the renderfarm software included.. un fortuantly i dont have space to share it on.. and lost intrest due to the impossiblity of me sharing my work... sorry

paranouei
04-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Why donīt you put it on the BitTorrent network? It will spread quickly that way.

Cheers.

A. Jorge Garcia
04-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Can you put your project on sourceforge? Sounds like they have lots of ftp space for such projects!

Good Luck,

aay
04-01-2003, 05:45 PM
god,

I Wish i had some space to give you for the cd. Like the others i'm interested in trying it out if you find a way to make it available.

Henk Poley
04-01-2003, 05:58 PM
And there's Gnutella, eDonkey, Gnutella2, Overnet. Chose one, keep your PC running and let some (selected) people download the full iso. If there are a couple of nodes who have the file you may shutdown the 'root' source, since people can find the file via URLs (ed2k, gnutella, magnet, etc.) on the other sources.

There are Linux programs for at least Gnutella (Qtella, gtk-gnutella) and eDonkey (lmule).

I don't know how much bandwidth you have. It might take some time before a couple of people have the full iso. AFAIK most of these programs/protocols allow partial sharing, so it shouldn't really be a problem if 100 people would want to download the file from PC. If everthing funtions as it should they will 'swarm' eachother to get the partials they haven't got.

god
04-01-2003, 06:03 PM
hmm.... i think that i will get one of those file sharing programs up and running as soon as i can and get this out. I am glad to see the intrest out there.....

Henk Poley
04-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Does MythTV now work on MediaPackKnoppix?

god
04-01-2003, 06:13 PM
if i remember correctly, freevo is on the iso, but not set up correctly, but no mythtv....
mplayer
xine
freevo
xmms
ogle
ogle-gui
gimp
film gimp
cinelera
kino

those are the basics on the iso...

KyPeN
04-08-2003, 11:19 PM
PLEASE! have emu10k1 in it!
I can't get my audigy working!

god
04-09-2003, 03:14 PM
emu10k1 is on standard knoppix.....

true1ever
04-09-2003, 06:02 PM
So, is there an ISO of this somewhere?

ranch137
04-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Hi there...

I run a small hosting firm and would be interested in providing you the tools needed to put your iso's up for download.

Send me an email to discuss.

god
04-10-2003, 03:23 PM
you are a great great man

god
04-11-2003, 04:18 AM
Thanks to john, I now have an ftp to share the mediapack off of, the first release is available here! http://24.199.169.91/~mpknoppix/

This is the temporary site name, soon you will be able to go to www.mediapackknoppix.com and dl to your hearts content. More content will be added to the site soon....

aay
04-11-2003, 04:39 AM
Hmm. Ftp doesn't seem to be working now, but I will check back later. Thanks!

god
04-11-2003, 05:43 AM
sorry, i forgot... ftp://24.199.169.92/Knoppix is the ftp until the dns registers the domain names... should be any time now...

please be gentle about the errors and flaws in the iso...

ranch137
04-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Check out the Project Home page:
http://www.mediapackknoppix.com

Anonymous FTP Download:
ftp://ftp.mediapackknoppix.com/Knoppix

zblace
04-16-2003, 08:29 AM
I think ideal multimedia mix would be:
Knoppix -OpenOffice -6differentWindowManagers
+MUSIC (+PD/Gem +jMax +CSound)
+VIDEO (+Cinarrela +freeJ/VeeJay +OpenMash +VideoLAN +Mpeg4IP +MjpegTools)
+3D (+blender ..not sure about renderers in terms of licencing)
+2D (there was some flash/svg authoring thing???)

Best zblace@mi2.hr

god
04-16-2003, 02:57 PM
I will look into adding some of those...

zblace
04-16-2003, 10:38 PM
forgot to say that one of the biggest stranghts of CD-Bootable Knoppix could be distributed rendering (Blender and Cinarrela come only first to my mind but I am sure there are...) For example my organisation has 10 brand new computers that unused for 12hours a day and this power could be used for off-line rendering.

however this shouldn't be high priority at this point, when both Knoppix and mediaknoppix are still in early stage.

god
04-17-2003, 01:46 AM
all ready on the list... if i remeber correctly, the renderfarm capibility is on the cd for cinelera.... :D

rec9140
04-17-2003, 03:24 AM
I think ideal multimedia mix would be:
Knoppix -OpenOffice -6differentWindowManagers

This I agree with 10000% drop OO, and ANY OTHER wm other than KDE. Just put KOffice in place of OO.

+LAN - A decent GUI based samaba/wimp share setup software ala linneighorhood etc..

+VIDEO (+Cinarrela +freeJ/VeeJay +OpenMash +VideoLAN +Mpeg4IP +MjpegTools)

How about: + DVArchive http://dvarchive.sourceforge.net/ to get ReplayTV functions intergrated so that some nice media PC centers can be developed around Knoppix based distros.

god
04-17-2003, 03:44 AM
the ultimat plan is to get freevo (on CD now) working, and mythTV, but htey are a bit beyond my scope at the moment...

aay
04-17-2003, 05:49 AM
the ultimat plan is to get freevo (on CD now) working, and mythTV, but htey are a bit beyond my scope at the moment...

That is a glorious goal indeed.

rec9140
04-17-2003, 02:01 PM

Freevo and other tivo like pvr solutions are great additions too, but only play the recordings they make. These tivo clones also take over and don't really allow for use of the PC for other things like web browsing, email. Which to be of the most use a media PC needs to do these in addition to playing DVD, xVCD, MP3, CD-A etc..

DVArchive would allow those who have ReplayTV units to play the recordings in other rooms on TV's and/or PC's using small ITX based media PC's.

god
04-17-2003, 02:30 PM
good point bth of you.... *goes back to thinking*

JoDaY
04-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Hi!

I'd like to know if you have made a MD5 key of your ISO?

So i'd like to know which licence did you choose...

Thks a lot for details! :wink:

god
04-17-2003, 04:55 PM
I neglected to make an MD5 sum... i will get on that as soon as i am back at the computer with the files on it...

What do you mean by which liscense did i choose? It is just a remaster of standard knoppix 3.1, so what ever liscence that falls under should apply.... I only added GPL programs....

gonzalu
04-17-2003, 09:04 PM
I am truly impressed. If we get Blender in there, this would be my main Knoppix (or is it Meadiaknoppix? :-)) CDROM

I already have like 5 ISOs I use... Some Morphix and some Knoppix

warlock
04-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I'm glad that someone else started working on this.

I've been working on getting freevo working along with xmltv on knoppix, but now that this is avialable I can start working on getting it to work in mediaknoppix.

The way I wanted to approach it is so that when you put the knoppix cd in, you would boot directly into freevo, but as of right now I don't even know if that is possible.

I will keep you guys posted about any progress.

escherian
04-18-2003, 05:01 PM
We are creating a remastered version of Knoppix 3.2 containing more than 200 multimedia apllications only from unstable and experimental sources.
We use fluxbox as a window manager for his low consuming hardware and the little space of disk it takes. Included in multimedialinux is cinelerra, moonlight3d and jazz++ , that are not already .deb packetized. We are going to add more as soon as we resolve some problems of libraries that conflicts ( basically many programs are dfepending on libvorbis0a wich you have to remove to install libvorbis0 that many other programs require ).
If you want I can upload the iso to your site for having better feedback.
By the way, our mastering wrtk is based on the istructions we posted in WORKING INSTRUCTIONS post by Marco Ghirlanda. These instructions seems to produce a high quality knoppix, as fast as the original. Fell free to ask any question you want to know.
Keep spreading opensource philosophy and soon we will have a better world ;-)

Hope it helps, Marco Ghirlanda marco.ghirlanda@opensourcelab.it mghirlanda@vrmmp.it marco.ghirlanda@marcoghirlanda.it

streetbmx
04-18-2003, 05:25 PM
I dont know if you are still looking for a web host, but I came accross http://www.5gbhosting.com/

jtally
04-18-2003, 07:09 PM
How about putting on povray, yafray, blender, yable and an openmosix patched kernel?

nogod
04-19-2003, 08:53 PM
hi
it seems to be unpossible -at least for me- to download mediapackknoppix from ftp://ftp.mediapackknoppix/Knoppix.
I tried it 3times.
Firt time dl broke dowm at 25%, second time at 99% and third time
at~82%. I have long experience in dl.
WHATS ON?????????
Bye god
greetings from nogod

Q: whats your emailaddress?

warlock
04-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi nogod:

You may want to download smartftp http://www.smartftp.com I used it for the download and I had no problems. It does auto resume which kind of works well when you have issues like the ones you describe.

Also I uploaded it into eDonkey/eMule, so if you have that you can get it there too.

http://www.emule-project.net/index.php?s=downloads

god
04-19-2003, 10:23 PM
my email is in my profile for anti-spam purposes

nogod
04-20-2003, 08:50 PM
hi god , hi warlock,

sorry, it works great.
Thks for the help.
Happy eastern.

aay
04-21-2003, 06:32 AM
Hi nogod:

You may want to download smartftp http://www.smartftp.com

Another possible tool (and one that is on virtually every linux distro) is wget.

Open Konsole and type "wget -c" and then paste in the url to mediapack and hit enter.

If the download is interupted for any reason, you can just hit the up arrow on the keyboard, select the command you gave to download mediapack, hit enter, and it will resume where it left off. Very reliable.

aay
04-21-2003, 06:34 AM
We are creating a remastered version of Knoppix 3.2 containing more than 200 multimedia apllications only from unstable and experimental sources.
We use fluxbox as a window manager for his low consuming hardware and the little space of disk it takes. Included in multimedialinux is cinelerra, moonlight3d and jazz++ , that are not already .deb packetized. We are going to add more as soon as we resolve some problems of libraries that conflicts ( basically many programs are dfepending on libvorbis0a wich you have to remove to install libvorbis0 that many other programs require ).
If you want I can upload the iso to your site for having better feedback.
By the way, our mastering wrtk is based on the istructions we posted in WORKING INSTRUCTIONS post by Marco Ghirlanda. These instructions seems to produce a high quality knoppix, as fast as the original. Fell free to ask any question you want to know.
Keep spreading opensource philosophy and soon we will have a better world ;-)

Hope it helps, Marco Ghirlanda marco.ghirlanda@opensourcelab.it mghirlanda@vrmmp.it marco.ghirlanda@marcoghirlanda.it

If you are able to get a host for this, please post a link when it's done. Sounds interesting. Thanks.

ranch137
04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Have you guys looked at sourceforge.net?

It seems to be a pretty nice setup to me.

I am planning to move MediaPackKnoppix to sourceforge sometime in the next because of bandwidth restrictions on my end (I'm currently providing the FTP access for this project).

I believe SourceForge is a good place because it seems to promote interactivity between the developers, contributors, and users.

god
04-30-2003, 07:20 PM
fair enough... a new release is on its way.....

Rono64
06-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Just a quick note to see how this project is going?
I work in print production and I am thinking of making a pre-press version of Knoppix and was wondering if you have a list of packages on this distro?

A. Jorge Garcia
06-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi Rono64!

OOO, a prepressKNOPPIX, sounds great!

Regards,

Rono64
06-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I think it would serve a need also, I could clear out some programs that would never be used like the games and replace them with how-to manuals and guidlines for output etc.

Rono64
06-14-2003, 05:28 PM
But I want to add, this is a long ways off as I have to learn how to do this.

nos_nogard[sce]
06-19-2003, 11:59 PM
dose this play divx files or quicktime files or dose it just play stamdard mpg files

kamikaze_fish
06-20-2003, 05:28 PM
just curious, could it include the xvid codec? I have many movies that require that. Also I'm not able to dload it from any of the above links. :cry:

vost17
06-20-2003, 07:18 PM
I have not been able to download the ISO. I have tried wget, WS_FTP, and Smartftp. HELP!!!!!!

stedlj
07-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Any news on status?

I would vote for FreeVo type setup. Maybe the people working on FreeVo would help, as it would help spread their work. What a great way to demo it! Just download an ISO and take it for a drive.

mulva
07-29-2003, 02:52 AM
I am unable to download it as well. Is this to peak my interest? It's peaked, it's peaked! FreeVo gets my vote.

e2k
08-15-2003, 08:44 PM
PLEASE add irssi!
It would save my day :)
link: http://www.irssi.org

It's a really popular ircing program for linux..
Thank you! :lol:

singlewish
08-16-2003, 04:07 AM
It would be great to include some audio editing software such as Audacity & Ardour.

http://audacity.sf.net
http://ardour.sf.net

ALSA support by default?
Preemptable kernel patch?

I'd also suggest you leave out all games (save moonbuggy & tux racer of course :). Save the disk space and let the games go into GamesKnoppix or somewhere like that.

aay
08-16-2003, 05:56 AM
It would be great to include some audio editing software such as Audacity & Ardour.

http://audacity.sf.net
http://ardour.sf.net

ALSA support by default?
Preemptable kernel patch?

I'd also suggest you leave out all games (save moonbuggy & tux racer of course :). Save the disk space and let the games go into GamesKnoppix or somewhere like that.

Audacity is already on the cd.
Alsa is there, you just have to choose it as a boot option or run the alsa script after install.
Ardour would be nice. Perhaps it is on medialinux which is listed on the customizations page: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations

Probably Klaus won't introduce a preemptable kernel until 2.6 is released.

e2k
08-16-2003, 02:26 PM
how could you remaster a knoppix cd,
so that it has irssi on it from the start?

Offtopic: When you start knoppix, you get to the thing were you can select resolution etc. but how did you put two together? Like "knoppix screen=1024*780" and "knoppix xvrefresh=75" ?
thanks..

Stephen
08-16-2003, 06:13 PM
how could you remaster a knoppix cd,
so that it has irssi on it from the start?

Offtopic: When you start knoppix, you get to the thing were you can select resolution etc. but how did you put two together? Like "knoppix screen=1024*780" and "knoppix xvrefresh=75" ?
thanks..

knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=75 you just put them on the same line and the instructions for re-mastering are in the docs.

e2k
08-23-2003, 03:18 PM
thanks! i'll read the docs better this time :)

Frost
09-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Seems like the ftp server doesn't respond...are there any mirrors out there? I'd REALY like to have my copy of mediapackknoppix...
thx,
Frost

c_cinq
09-19-2003, 08:49 PM
the server is down. and the http link doesn't work. are there mirrors for that link?

joeshmoo
09-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Seems to be a dead project. (?)

Short lived to say the least :wink:

dnaworks
12-09-2003, 06:25 AM
I will host it on my site if it is not availabe anywhere else - I would even appreciate a copy of it if you don't wish to have it hosted .... www.mediapackknoppix.com seems to just be a commercial redirect now.