PDA

View Full Version : no network after hdd install using the debian option

drevil
05-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I am new to linux so there must be something obvious I am missing. I install to hdd using the
newbie option and everything works fine, so I tried to follow the instruction on
godot.studentenweb.org to used the debian install option. But after rebooting the ethernet
is not started. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I am using a Fujitsu S6120 laptop and I am very happy the speedstep stuff is supported, so
that there is no more annoying fan (which is what turned me off all other linux distributions because I don't know how to recompile kernell).

Actually can someone tell me what the difference between the two options are?

mzilikazi
05-24-2004, 01:02 AM
I am new to linux so there must be something obvious I am missing. I install to hdd using the
newbie option and everything works fine, so I tried to follow the instruction on
godot.studentenweb.org to used the debian install option. But after rebooting the ethernet
is not started. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I am using a Fujitsu S6120 laptop and I am very happy the speedstep stuff is supported, so
that there is no more annoying fan (which is what turned me off all other linux distributions because I don't know how to recompile kernell).

Actually can someone tell me what the difference between the two options are?

Dude......all that typing and you don't even bother to mention what NIC you have?! Anyway.....are the modules loaded?

lsmod
I just might be able to tell you which modules they are if I had some clue as to what card you have. ;)
You can always try

pump
and see if that brings it up. If so just add that to the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

drevil
05-24-2004, 03:01 AM
the module it should be using is 8193too, but it shows up under lsmod as unused. How can
I get it to be used?

mzilikazi
05-24-2004, 03:58 AM
ifconfig eth0

If the interface is there but doesn't have an i.p. try
pump

I presume you get your i.p. via dhcp.

A. Jorge Garcia
05-24-2004, 03:28 PM
I've never used the beginner's option. When I install a dual-boot PC with Debian option, I always reboot without the CD right away. Then I login as root and edit /etc/lilo.conf to suit my boot order. I run lilo. Then I run netcardconfig. netcardconfig should intialize your eth0. If you use DHCP, the easiest option is to say yes and let netcardconfig terminate, then reboot.

Regards,
AJG

tsachi
05-28-2004, 09:09 PM
I had the same thing. Turns out all the required modules were loaded, you just have to initialize the setup. In the GUI menu choose:
K->KNOPPIX->Network/Internet->Network card configuration
It will prompt for administrator password, then it will run you through the setup (one question if you use DHCP)

A. Jorge Garcia
05-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Anyone know how to setup a newly installed as debian PC to sleep the monitor after a given number of minutes of inactivity? Most of my hdinstalls do this, but some just stay on all the time!

TIA,
AJG