PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie's Question, help!

acer_peri
05-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I want to copy some truetype fonts from Mandrake 10 folder to Knoppix's /usr/share/font/ttf, but kde tells me that the file can't be copied.
although in knoppix/home/ folde, I can create a text file, but when I typed some word in it and save it, kwrite told me can't write to file.
in terminal i typed su, it does not need a password and go in to root user, I do the previous job, but it couldn't work, too.

My question is how to configure knoppix to allow me to modify all of the folders in / ? just as other linux?

another question: can I configure knoppix to let is save my settings and new made files after I restart it?

pulsar
05-25-2004, 10:12 PM
To begin with your last question, if you run from cd there are a view ways to save the config. You can find them by clicking on the penquin next to Kmenu > Configure > Save Knoppix configuration.
You can save your changes on floppy. Type in the bootscreen "knoppix floppyconfig" so knoppix can find your configuration. You can also save your changes on harddisk (windows fat-partition). Type "knoppix myconfig=scan" in the bootscreen so knoppix can find it. See also the cheatcodes document.
The first part of your question has probably something to do with read and write allowance you can give to certain files and directories. Meaby someone else in this forum can tell you more about it.

firebyrd10
05-25-2004, 10:14 PM
unless you installed knoppix you can't make any changes to files out side the /ramdisk & /home directory because everything else is on the disc.

acer_peri
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
how can the ttf fonts be saved in configuration?
by the way, how to modify /etc/fstab?

acer_peri
05-28-2004, 01:13 PM
unless you installed knoppix you can't make any changes to files out side the /ramdisk & /home directory because everything else is on the disc.

how to install knoppix into harddisk?

pulsar
05-28-2004, 01:42 PM
If you run from cd you won't be able to add new fonts, because the cd is 'read only'. For installing knoppix on hd see the install faq under docs at the top of the page.

firebyrd10
05-28-2004, 06:34 PM
acually you can add fonts as they are stored in your home directory.

(don't remember how to do it right now.)

pulsar
05-28-2004, 08:04 PM
In that way it can, just make a fonts-directory on the harddisk (partition) where also your configuration is saved.