PDA

View Full Version : An offer (someone) can't refuse...

Cuddles
05-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Ok, I am seriously bummed on not being able to "see", let alone "download", the new version of Knoppix v3.4 - problems: a 56k dial-up connection, and a "small" town that probably has wiring that was used in Alexander Bell's time.

Can someone, who has a "working" v3.4 - hopefully, from what I hear, the one that isn't buggy, send me a working burnt CD of it, and I will trade you 3 CDR's for the deal??? ( I'll even return your CD Jewel case to you )

This contract will ultimately turn into a hard drive install on my system, since I am currently running v3.3 hard drive installed, I will want to copy off any configs, and docs, on this system install, gut, and install v3.4, and get it working with old configs - hopefully.

Current System Setup:
AMD 1700 XP
(external) seriel port modem/fax
80 gb (secondary - backup) hard drive
41 gb (primary) hard drive w/ Knoppix v3.3 and swap
512 mb RAM
On-motherboard video (not used) and a AGP NVidia GeForce4 (used) video setup
No network card, standard wheel PS/2 mouse, and MS natural keyboard.
Monitor is a ViewSonic ViewPanel VA700
On-motherboard sound card, with out going to monitor and external amplifier, in from external amplifier, no microphone usage.
ALSA (kind of) working, using cheatcode "alsa" and then hard drive installing.

I am feeling like I can't help anyone because I am not running the current version here, and want to be able to help, but fear that the version differances are getting in the way...

Thanks to anyone, and everyone, for any assistance,
Ms. Cuddles

A. Jorge Garcia
05-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi Cuddles, how about this?

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=sffbclub&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Regards,
AJG

Cuddles
05-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Ok, Ok, you want me to admit it... I will...

I'm cheap, I'd rather swap CDR's than pay, and I'd rather trade (any) amount of blank CDR's that I have a supply for, than to try and download a 700MB (plus) file, and considering the phone line, take days doing it, and probably not get it to complete. I am also looking to find someone who has already found the "latest" version, than to do the "research" myself. So, I guess I'm LAZY and CHEAP. Liquid cash is something I don't have, but, I have invested "previous" money into my supplies, and thus, was looking for someone who felt this was a good offer. I also would rather "trust" someone from the Knoppix Forums than a complete stranger on EBay - besides, I just don't do EBay, I can sell, but I just don't "feel" right buying on it - its a "personal" thing... (either that, or its a "post-menaposal thing, or hormone imbalance, who knows)

But, thanks for the option AJG :)
Ms. Cuddles

ktheking
05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
hmmm.. wisconsin must be very very poor ...
even't got a neigbour with dsl or cable ....
We in Europe can't walk 20m without encountering a Wifi hotspot ... 8)

Cuddles
05-24-2004, 04:04 PM
hmmm.. wisconsin must be very very poor ...
even't got a neigbour with dsl or cable ....
We in Europe can't walk 20m without encountering a Wifi hotspot ... 8)

Poor, not exactly, but we do have a very low employment rate, considering the only place is a plastics company, and they know they are the only place to work...

Dsl or cable is a good plan, but I already "tapped" that person to get my copy of v3.3, and 3.2 already - I just don't feel right "bugging" them again for something "I" need, and they don't care about...

Sorry, but this is a "small" town, you can count the town on an amputated hand, kind of thing - and the "Phone Company" has a monopoly on everything here... Dial, dsl, cable, internet, wireless, you name it, they have a part in it, so, you want anything, you pay "through the nose" for it... We can't even get a "compitition" of ISP's here, cause the Phone Company won't give them "local access" phone numbers...

As for another reason why I am cheap, or this place is poor - the plastics company keeps throwing me on a "lay off" situation, so, continual income is non-existant - we got a sewer problem, $3000, we don't have, etc... Its kind of hard to pay even $2 for a OS, that every bill needs to be paid, so, thats why I haven't "jumped" to v3.4 before this time...

As a side joke, but it is true, this town is so small, the minimum requirement for any job here, and most important, is, a high school education - and me, a transplant here, have almost a Masters Degree. These people are so backwards, they would think a abacus is a computer, most of them.... (most use a WebTV)

Ms. Cuddles

j.drake
05-24-2004, 05:32 PM
considering the only place is a plastics company, and they know they are the only place to work... this is a "small" town, you can count the town on an amputated hand, kind of thing

I can't resist this puzzle - Baraboo?

JD

OErjan
05-24-2004, 06:52 PM
im biting cuddles, what version do you want?
perhaps several on a DVD?
i have a 10Mb connection so it won't take me long, the cost might be high (~15$US for the one disk iirc) though, and it may take some time for the package to arrive...
why? eeeh, I live in Sweden... 64N 21E approx and mail from abroad to US is messy/slow these days (have to sign a woucher alowing US customs to open package...)

Cuddles
05-24-2004, 07:04 PM
j.drake
Ok, so there is a place smaller than Phillips, WI :!: -=- But I am sure you can find that place on a map though.

OErjan
Though, tempting as it sounds, a DVD with a "whole lotta" Knoppix on it, I would think the Government here would start thinking I am selling "SECRETS" behind there back... (like any government secrets would be coming out of Phillips, WI. ? But, ya never know) I guess I will have to pass on your offer, and hope someone just a little bit closer can assist...

Ms. Cuddles

mzilikazi
05-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Can someone, who has a "working" v3.4 - hopefully, from what I hear, the one that isn't buggy,

Which one is that? I have
KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN & KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN

Oh and BTW I'd prefer to take this offline.

eco2geek
05-24-2004, 07:33 PM
I'd be happy to burn you off a copy or two of the latest version, as well. Might as well put this expensive cable connection to good use! :wink:

OErjan
05-24-2004, 08:42 PM
expensive? i have 10Mb@28€/month ok only grantee upt to 512k but it rarely goes that low (otoh we have about 17 000 inh in whole region and several THICK optic lines branching from here (lots of IT research in local ERICSON lab, and a CISCO lab on Skeria Campus...).

Markus
05-24-2004, 09:32 PM
expensive? i have 10Mb@28€/month ok only grantee upt to 512k but it rarely goes that low (otoh we have about 17 000 inh in whole region and several THICK optic lines branching from here (lots of IT research in local ERICSON lab, and a CISCO lab on Skeria Campus...).
Can anyone guess? Skellefteå? :D

Cuddles
05-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Eco2Geek
I was hoping you'd assist, you helped me out of that WMF issue before, you still have my email? If not, its taylar at pctcnet dot net... You can state your terms in the email, and, thanks again for the help, again... :)

Ms. Cuddles

DimGR
05-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Ok, I am seriously bummed on not being able to "see", let alone "download", the new version of Knoppix v3.4 - problems: a 56k dial-up connection, and a "small" town that probably has wiring that was used in Alexander Bell's time.

Can someone, who has a "working" v3.4 - hopefully, from what I hear, the one that isn't buggy, send me a working burnt CD of it, and I will trade you 3 CDR's for the deal??? ( I'll even return your CD Jewel case to you )

This contract will ultimately turn into a hard drive install on my system, since I am currently running v3.3 hard drive installed, I will want to copy off any configs, and docs, on this system install, gut, and install v3.4, and get it working with old configs - hopefully.

Current System Setup:
AMD 1700 XP
(external) seriel port modem/fax
80 gb (secondary - backup) hard drive
41 gb (primary) hard drive w/ Knoppix v3.3 and swap
512 mb RAM
On-motherboard video (not used) and a AGP NVidia GeForce4 (used) video setup
No network card, standard wheel PS/2 mouse, and MS natural keyboard.
Monitor is a ViewSonic ViewPanel VA700
On-motherboard sound card, with out going to monitor and external amplifier, in from external amplifier, no microphone usage.
ALSA (kind of) working, using cheatcode "alsa" and then hard drive installing.

I am feeling like I can't help anyone because I am not running the current version here, and want to be able to help, but fear that the version differances are getting in the way...

Thanks to anyone, and everyone, for any assistance,
Ms. Cuddles

if you still need a cd i will burn one for you

email me at dtheoharis@in.gr

don't mind the .gr ; i am in the US too

OErjan
05-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Yes Markus 64*N 20*E is skellefteå. nice place to live imho.
salmon fishing is nearly possible from campus cafeteria (about 25meters from water)...
not to mention the festival...

boehmb
05-27-2004, 03:10 AM
Do you still need a Knoppix CD...I'll send it to you for nothing if you want. I'm just below you in IL

Cuddles
05-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Boehmb,

Got it, its coming in the mail already, but thanks for the offer :D

Ms. Cuddles

boehmb
05-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Let me know if you need future releases.

Markus
05-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Yes Markus 64*N 20*E is skellefteå. nice place to live imho.
salmon fishing is nearly possible from campus cafeteria (about 25meters from water)...
not to mention the festival...
Yes it is nice, been there wisiting Alimak. (So I cheated while I remembered they mentioned Skeria).

PS: Sorry Cuddles for borrowing your post like I did, wasn't thinking. Glad you're getting the CD already so perhaps I can borrow this thread just a little bit more.