PDA

View Full Version : newbie... not sure where to post this... lol

spamhippy
05-24-2004, 08:52 PM
maybe this is where you ask about modem support? lol.....
i got me a broadxent dsi v.92 pci DI3631 modem and i'm trying to get knoppix to use it... but it just doesn't seem to be happenin'. anyone know anyway i can pull this off? now... i also might add that the broadxent is not my original modem... i got a lucent winmodem in here that took a dump (hardly ever connect.. runs slow as molases..) so i stuck the broadxent in but left the lucent in too. so i got 2 modems... one that works and the other one i didn't feel like ripping out at the time. any help? please?
:(
i like what i'm seeing with knoppix... but i have to keep pulling the disk out and switch back to windows to get online.

pulsar
05-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Did you already tried to configure your modem? Press the penquin icon on the taskbar. Select Network/Internet > modem dialer.

spamhippy
05-28-2004, 06:21 PM
hiya....

tried to configure the modem several times. no luck. i wondering if broadxent is linux compatible. i know there are some that are not for one reason or another. anybody know?

pulsar
05-28-2004, 08:35 PM
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg00316.html

spamhippy
05-29-2004, 07:34 PM
first off thanks....
i tried fooling around with the driver last night. i didn't get it to work yet (though honestly i don't know what i'm excactly doing...lol) anyways it was late and after a bit i just decided to go to bed and try it again another time. lol. anyways... thanks again. i'll figure it out yet!

spamhippy
05-30-2004, 08:33 PM
okay....

i installed the driver... i think it worked.. got everything set up .. go to do that 'pppd call isp nodetach' thing that's listed on the link and get a message says something like 'etc/peers/isp doesn't exist. no such directory or something or other. ' how to i set up pppd? i have no clue what i'm doing. lol. am i missing something? :shock:

user unknown
05-31-2004, 05:17 AM
If you have kde, try kppp - an graphical setup tool.

spamhippy
05-31-2004, 07:02 PM
the problem is, the driver is really, really new.... and it says it won't run yet without doing 'pppd call isp nodetach' the only problem is... everytime i type that in... i get 'etc/peers/isp' (i believe that's the name...) does not exist. so... my question still stands... how does one go about setting up things so they can do a 'pppd call isp nodetach' ? because it sounds like that the only way i'm going to get this driver to work and get online. thanks anyhow. :?

user unknown
05-31-2004, 07:23 PM
If you buy a very, very new refrigerator, you can plug it into an old power supply.
So try good old kppp.

spamhippy
05-31-2004, 08:41 PM
i've already tried it.(several times) it doesn't work with kppp. it's an experimental driver that so far only work with 'pppd call isp nodetach.' so... how do i get 'pppd call isp nodetach' to work? (detail of problems listed above...) the instructions that came with the driver even say kppp doesn't work. thanks... but still my question remains.....

user unknown
05-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Hmm. Kppp is just a graphical wrapper for pppd, so I thought it should work.
Don't you have a isp.demo - file?
A description?

I found by google:
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/sorcerer-spells/2003-July/004278.html
perhaps that helps

spamhippy
05-31-2004, 09:28 PM
okay... i got a thing with the driver that says......

This is some kind of reverse-egineered ESS' binary driver for
linux kernel 2.2.12, which allow it to work under linux kernel
2.4.18 (it might be the whole 2.4.x series, but I haven't tried it yet)

It is far from being completed, and it is buggy, VERY buggy.

It does PPP and fax!

Trying to use wvdial and kppp to connect caused my computer to lock-up,
so that I needed to do hard reset. Plain pppd 2.4.1 + chat script connection
worked for me, but your mileage might differ. In order to use pppd you have to
set either nodetach or updetach options, or your system will get locked up.

I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE TO ANY DEMAGE, DIRECT OR INDIRECT
CAUSED BY THIS DRIVER.

This is hyper experimental driver. do not use it in production systems,
backup you hard drive frequently and load it only when needed.

Console, callout device and proc fs support are disabled for now.

To compile the driver ( recent gcc (tested with 2.96-81)
and binutils are needed for this):
./compile_it

After that insert the driver and create the needed device entries by
running as root:
./install_it

You should now be able to dialup using minicom.
Good luck
Shachar Raindel
shacharr@users.sourceforge.net

Change log:

2.4-1 - Fix (or more accurately, hack around, in an ugly way) build problems
with modified kernel versions (the ones that are shipped with RedHat 7.3
and Mendrake 8.2), documentations update

2.4 - Initial Release

then i got a different thing off the page i got it from... by a knoppix user that says........

Just wanted to report my success of getting my Walmart cheapo Broadxent 3631 modem workin in linux ;) Using knoppix with the kernel 2.4.22 and the driver at http://tx.technion.ac.il/~raindel/ ..
I’m a windows user so I am proud of myself ☺ except everytime I log into linux I have to do a ./compile ./install then pppd call isp nodetach (without nodetach it locks up linux completely)..

Kevin
Godtwo8854@netzero.net

the webpage is at.......

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg00316.html

now... that file 'etc/peers/isp' it says on mine that i don't have that file... so how to i create it? how does one go about setting up pppd? (i'm assuming it needs to be set up somehow before you can make it work...)

spamhippy
05-31-2004, 09:31 PM
i do the ./compile part the ./install part and i think all of that is working but when i get to the 'pppd call isp nodetach' part... i'm missing a file. i'm a windows user with vertially no linux experience trying to figure this out...lol.

user unknown
05-31-2004, 11:37 PM
Well - one thing I got so far, is, you are a windows user.
Let's don't talk about it, we all have our dark history :) - you needn't repeat it all the time.

On the webpage I found, there is written:

/etc/ppp/peers/isp
It should look like:

noauth
/dev/modem
defaultroute
usepeerdns
connect "chat -v -e -f /etc/ppp/chat/isp"

Mark in the browser, copy, paste it to an editor, save it to your home as 'isp'.
Then copy it as root to /etc/ppp/peers/isp .
Now we solved one problem and earned a new one.
That's how live is.
My prename is Sysiphus.

I guess you don't have a /etc/ppp/chat/isp file?

spamhippy
06-01-2004, 07:19 AM
alright... here's where i'm at.... lol
i made the file call 'isp' containing the code. after a 'oh duh!' moment i figured out how to make a file called 'etc'.... which contains a file called 'ppp' which contains a file called 'peers' which contains the evil 'isp' file containing said code.

i './compile_it' like hell.... then i go to root and './install_it' it does so but says 'cannot remove /dev/essmodem no such file or directory'
'cannot remove /dev/modem no such file or diectory'
i get out of root... try it again.. it says the file is already created and everything is jiggy.
then i do the dreaded 'pppd call isp nodetach' and get the following message------ 'pppd:can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/isp: no such file or directory'

...and thus the strange pain and suffering... the utter torment continues.. but- as the say - what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. THUS- we can conclude (ladies and gentleman...) that i will most likely be dead in a day or two. and once again- thank you for your help and patience....

user unknown
06-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Before you're dead, you should know one more thing:

------- introducing: The Path: --------
A path starting with a '/' is a absolut path. Your root-dir. Top of all paths.
If not starting with a '/', it's a relative path to your current location.
-----------------------------------------
You should already have '/etc' and '/etc/ppp' and maybee even '/etc/ppp/peers'.

And you don't need to compile or install again.

These file(s) are used at runtime only.

spamhippy
06-01-2004, 06:35 PM
okay..... here's where i'm at...
i do 'dir /etc' find ppp....
i do 'dir /etc/ppp' find peers....
i do 'dir /etc/ppp/peers' and find where i need to stick my 'isp' file
i do 'cp isp /etc/ppp/peers' magically 'isp' appears in 'etc/ppp/peers' directory.....
i do my rain dance (which directions tell me must be done everytime...)
i type 'pppd call isp nodetach' and get the following... BRAND NEW! ...error message!!!

pppd: in file /etc/ppp/peers/isp: unrecognized option 'cd'

awesome huh? lol. um.... what's that mean? lol

user unknown
06-01-2004, 09:12 PM
So we went a step ahead!
Great!
Let's party :)
old message:

'pppd:can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/isp: no such file or directory
new message:

pppd: in file /etc/ppp/peers/isp: unrecognized option 'cd'

Do you have a file /etc/ppp/chat/isp ?

I found an example by googling for ..chat/isp:

ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
'' ATZ
OK-AT-OK ATDT,,,<phone of your isp>
CONNECT \d\c

I'm not sure how it works, but of course you have to change <phone of your isp> to the dial-in number.

If you have an idea, where the 'cd' option is comming from?

Unhappily, there are lot's of different dial-in strategies, options and technics.
Pap, chap, chat, ...

The driver-vendor doesn't show examples?
[/b]

spamhippy
06-02-2004, 10:58 AM
alright... i'm getting close...lol

here's where i'm at......

i do my whole ./compile .... ./install thing
i got a file called 'isp' which contains the following info.....

noauth
/dev/modem
defaultroute
usepeerdns
connect "chat -v -e -f /etc/isp2"

i type 'cp isp /etc/ppp/peers'

then i got a file (which i dug off of yahoo that goes...)

ABORT 'BUSY'
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
'' ATZ
OK ATDT,555-5555
CONNECT ""
OGIN: mylogin
sword: mypassword

(555-5555 is the phone number, my login is... my login ... my password...)

i call the file 'isp2' and type 'cp isp2 /etc' (getting high tech here...lol)

okay... now... i tried the code you gave me- it makes my modem scream but nothing happens. the code above makes it burp... dial the number (and i believe) connect. i can here it dial up. then i get a thing that basically says.......

'annex command line interpreter' copyright blah blah blah....
'annex username:'

i'm guessing this is where i type in my login? then probably the password promped will come up next ...right? only problem is shortly after i type in my login ... my computer freezes up and the only way to get out of it is to do i hard reset. so i guess my questions right now are.......

a) is annex where i put my login & password? is that like the standard hook-up for pppd/linux? is that my isp? um... what is it? lol

b) i know with what little is listed with the driver that it's buggy. is there anything i person could add in to the above files that could help out a buggy driver?

...any ideas?

user unknown
06-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Great work.

a) nearly.
This is where the script should type in the username.
I'm not sure, but I believe you have to change your script:

OGIN: mylogin
->
annex username: mylogin

and when seeing the username is detected, change the password-token too.

But I'm not sure about these login-scripts, how they worked. I used to use kppp (did I mention that? :) ) and wvdial, who made the dirty stuff behind the scenes for me, and produced similar scripts.

Perhaps someone else out here?
-------
If your patience isn't exhausted, I would send you to google again, to search for login-scripts specific to your provider - (annex?, _annex?) to find out more.

b) Fixing the buggy driver?
I wouldn't start to try it.
You may post your experiences with the script, driver-version, and failure-report (freezes) to the developers, if they maintain a bugreport-list.
Since nearly no user gives feedback, you needn't worry to disturb them.
-------
Hardreset: Do you start the script from an X11-term or from console?
When it freezes, did you try <ctrl-c>, which sometimes stops a hung script?
Or <ctrl-alt-backspace> which sometimes stops a hung X11?

knewbex
06-08-2004, 01:48 AM
deleted by author.