PDA

View Full Version : I keep installing the german version

rickenbacherus
03-06-2003, 10:14 PM
I passed the knoppix lang=us cheat code and it boots to the english version no problem. I do an install immediately thereafter, log in as knoppix and somehow I still installed the german version! BUT (and this is the weird part) if I log in as root it's in english. :shock: I tried adding a user but same deal. I have reinstalled it 4 times. WTF!?!? Any ideas??

Stephen
03-07-2003, 04:20 AM
When you run KDE for the first time the configuration screen runs just change the default language to US english and click next and the rest of the screens should be in english you will want to change the keymap to US too, by right clicking on the german flag in the kde-menubar and configuring it to US.

rickenbacherus
03-07-2003, 04:26 AM
did it - still gotta log in root :? thanks tho :)

aay
03-07-2003, 06:44 AM
did it - still gotta log in root :? thanks tho :)

You can't log in as "knoppix"? I wouldn't recommend staying logged in and doing your daily work as root.

Also for the language issues try running kpersonalizer.

rickenbacherus
03-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the tip on kpersonalizer, I hadn't come across that as of yet.

I wouldn't reccomend staying logged in and doing your daily work as root -thanks for the flash of genius :D

As for logging in as root- it's the only way to get it to display english, and I actually knew not to habitually log in as root before I had ever even considered attempting to install Linux.

So why can't I log in as knoppix? Are you telling me that it's an impossibility or that it is just wrong??:) At one point during install it asks for a password for knoppix so I gave it one (on all 5 installs BTW) so I indeed can log in as knoppix.

I've added users and still I'm in German.

If left to boot without intervention the cd boots in English. It's the right .iso.

So........if kpersonalizer won't fix it that's really gonna suck and just to make things more interesting it stops connecting to the internet AFTER install. It's common-I've seen the posts - I'm still working on that- being able to log in is more important- but that means I can't search while in knoppix. On the positive side I can boot in and out of Linux several times before my wife with her 1.something GHz 512MB IBM and Win2k can even get shut down! :D
I'm calling it a night. - gotta work <groan> :(

RockMumbles
03-07-2003, 07:59 PM
The taskbar 'country' app is for your keyboard selection, not your kde language. For exact step by step instructions look in the FAQ's either here or on your CD for one about language selection.

What you need to do is in your German KDE setup from the "K-menu" you need to go into the control center (Kontrol??) and then click on the sub-menu with a flag (maybe 4th from bottom?) then select the entry with the flag (maybe 2nd from top?) in the drop down select your country flag and then click on the apply button (2nd from right) close the window log-out and then back in.

HTH

rock

rickenbacherus
03-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks aay - you were right on with your diagnosis but RockMumbles had to explain it a little more clearly to get it through my thick skull. Thanks guys
:cool: