PDA

View Full Version : no window managers ...? more questions too

DimGR
05-25-2004, 03:25 PM
i installed knoppix 3.4 on my second hard drive last night. After a reboot i was suprised to see that a) it did not ask me how to log in, as knoppix or root b) from a console when i type su it changes me to root without asking me for a password c)there are no other window managers installed other than kde?

:)

Markus
05-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Looks like you installed in beginner or knoppix mode. If you install in debian mode you get all this.

DimGR
05-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Looks like you installed in beginner or knoppix mode. If you install in debian mode you get all this.

so if i try again and choose the " debian way " it will ask me for username and passwords and also it will install all the window managers?

Markus
05-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Yes.
Hmm, short post.

Cuddles
05-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Markus
First of all, yes, yes it was a short post...

And sorry about "piggy-backing" this topic, but it has interest to me, since I am going to be "upgrading" to the newer version (v3.4) in a short time...

I used knx-hdinstall to install Knoppix v3.3 onto my hard drive, is that still used, or, how does one "install" Knoppix v3.4 onto a hard drive, not in "beginner" mode, and in Debian???

Consider I am doing all of this ahead of time, Knoppix v3.4 is "sight-unseen" at the moment...

What I plan on doing is "shifting" my /home, fstab, and "global" documents to a second hard drive, gutting the v3.3 hard drive, and installing v3.4 on it, then, "re-shift" back the above from the second hard drive - does anyone else have better ideas, or will this work???

I would also like to make this "upgrade" as seamless as possible, so I want to figure out where my "bookmarks", "email", etc... are, and be sure to move those as well... Maybe someone can suggest a better way for the next "version upgrade" at this time. I wanted to do the "broken-up partition" idea, but no one ever suggested sizes, so I just went with the one partition idea, on v3.3

Again, sorry to piggy-back this thread, but it didn't make much sense to make a new one, when this one appears to be in the same "ball park".
Ms. Cuddles

Markus
05-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Actually I haven't yet had a look at 3.4. Should probably download it today just to see it, thanks for reminding. I switched to kanotix a while back and couldn't be happier with it.
I don't think knx-hdinstall is any more on the 3.4. You could try knoppix-installer or knx2hd.
I tried shifting my separate home when going from knoppix to kanotix and had a great time trying to log into kde, solution was to just rename old user, create new one and moving over the stuff I wanted so new .files were created. You shouldn't have any trouble with most global files or the fstab. Your bookmarks are under ~.mozilla/somestrangedirectory. IIRC you use kmail, haven't used it as I prefer mozilla but you should find your mail under ~.kde somewhere. Can kmail export to a file and import later?
I have all my system under 1 partition. Yes I know, not very secure but I'm behind 2 firewalls here. If you're going to partition anew, /usr is where you need space, /tmp max 1 GB to be able to download isos if it caches there, /var is where apt/archives and stuff is saved so it will grow if you don't clean it. You could cd into a /directory and do "du -a|sort -n|tail" to find out how to divide your GBs.
Hmm, long post.