PDA

View Full Version : Removing unwanted files in Knoppix

Dooley
05-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Hello to everyone
I am new to this forum to Linux and Knoppix.
If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.

I have a couple questions which I am not sure I totally understand the answer to which I have found on the search's which I have done. Therefore I am not to sure of my footing before I attempt to do anything.

I have Knoppix 3.3 installed on the hard drive as the only OS and would like to remove some of the programs, app or anything which I don't need.

First Question:
What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?
Also, please advise as to the easiest way of removing the extras.

Second Question:
When logged in as root verses logged in as user there are different icons placed on the kicker and when I changed the mouse pointers logged in as root vs logged as Knoppix user the pointers are different eventhough the setting are the same.

Thanks for any advice.
Dooley

mzilikazi
05-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Hello to everyone
If this post is not in the proper forum please advise and I will post elsewhere.

I reckon this would go under the General support forum.

First Question:
What problems are there in removing any extras that I don't need and what will I mess up?

Now that's a broad question. :) When you use apt it will tell you everythinhg it's going to remove, it will usually warn you about anything serious like

You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!

apt-get update
apt-get remove (application)

OR fire up Synaptic a very nice and easy to use package manager.

Second Question:
When logged in as root

You should almost never need to log in as root. This is a true multi-user system unlike weendoze where you have to be user or admin - you can simply become root or execute commands AS root with sudo.

Dooley
05-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello to everyone

I reckon this would go under the General support forum.

First Question:

Now that's a broad question. :) When you use apt it will tell you everythinhg it's going to remove, it will usually warn you about anything serious like

You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!

apt-get update
apt-get remove (application)

OR fire up Synaptic a very nice and easy to use package manager.

Second Question:
When logged in as root

You should almost never need to log in as root. This is a true multi-user system unlike weendoze where you have to be user or admin - you can simply become root or execute commands AS root with sudo.

Thanks for you reply.
I will try to use the proper foum in the future.

As one which has been on a Windows system since 3.1 and not being familiar with LINUX at all I might be well advised to learn a lot more before I attempt anything a drastic as removing anything.

mzilikazi
05-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Go ahead and try out synaptic. You likely won't hurt anything. Just avoid removing libraries and such unless apt wants to do it. You can usually remove virtually any application you don't want/need. I did see some recent problems w/ removing frozen-bubble but it was easily solved. The first thing I do is remove all of KDE with one simple command:

apt-get remove libarts1

apt then tells me it will remove a whole bunch of stuff and it does so without problems.

Don't want qtparted? Use Synaptic, select it, click 'Remove' and then 'Apply. Synaptic tells you each step of the way what it's doing or about to do.