PDA

View Full Version : Lilo Errors w/ Knoppix 3.4

rhpot1991
05-26-2004, 03:44 PM
I downloaded and installed the newest version of knoppix (3.4 5/17) and on boot I am getting the 'L 99 99 99 99...' error, now I have traced back what I believe to be my problems, when the 'knoppix-installer' installs knoppix to my hardrive the lilo.conf file contains a line it it which says to edit itself out when running lilo, I believe that lilo is hitting this line and then giving me the errors. When I try to edit the line out I am unable to because the file is locked. I tried editing both the one installed on the hard drive and the one that it is installing from, both locked. Anyone run into this?

spurious
05-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Usually, that "99 99 99..." error indicates that the bootloader did not properly install to the MBR. I highly doubt that anything is wrong with the default /etc/lilo.conf file. More likely, you installed lilo to the root partition rather than the MBR. Although you can fix this problem without re-installing, it's probably easier and quicker just to reinstall Knoppix, but making sure you choose the lilo-to-MBR option.