PDA

View Full Version : monitor configuration

Sebas
05-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm just learning linux and have just installed knoppix on my hd (for a dual-boot windoze-linux system) and there are two issues that need some tweaking I guess:

1. The message "unable to determine video adapter" was shown at the end of installation.

2. The look and feel of fonts and icons on the KDE desktop are not as they are when running from the CD.

I'm not sure if both things are related. I've checked the xf86config file in /etc/x11/ to see if it's exactly the same as that created when running from the CD. No problems there. I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure what the problem is, I really prefer the way things look when running on the CD. Any tips please?

mzilikazi
05-26-2004, 08:47 PM
1. The message "unable to determine video adapter" was shown at the end of installation.

A harmless message from LILO.

2. The look and feel of fonts and icons on the KDE desktop are not as they are when running from the CD.

I'm not sure if both things are related. I've checked the xf86config file in /etc/x11/ to see if it's exactly the same as that created when running from the CD. No problems there. I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure what the problem is, I really prefer the way things look when running on the CD. Any tips please?

XF86Config-4 doesn't affect how the desktop looks. There is nothing wrong with your system. KDE is highly configurable, just tweak it to your liking. Use the KControl Center

Sebas
05-26-2004, 09:39 PM
XF86Config-4 doesn't affect how the desktop looks. There is nothing wrong with your system. KDE is highly configurable, just tweak it to your liking. Use the KControl Center[/quote]

thank you so much, you're absolutely rigtht. In fact, for some esoteric reason, the machine needed a complete shutdown and reboot for the fonts and display to adjust correctly. Anyway, I'm sailing now, thanks!