PDA

View Full Version : 2.6 kernel ok in cdboot NOT in hdinstall

samwhich
05-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi,

Need assistance getting 2.6.6 kernel to boot ok after Hdinstall. I have no problems whatsoever booting from cd to the 2.6.6 kernel using knoppix26 lang=us dma parameters. Not a single bad message. HOWever after doing a hdinstall, I get nothing but problems booting the 2.6.6 kernel. It locks up after trying to do some some usb stuff. The 2.4.26 kernel boots fine after the hdinstall (it does however try to load usb stuff numereous times). I'm using the 5/16/2004 knoppix.

I have tried almost every cheat code combination possible in lilo.conf. Is there some way to modify the boot up sequence of the hdinstall to be identical or similiar to the cd boot sequence. The cd boot to the 2.6.6 kernel gives me no problems at all and I'm now trying figure out a way to make the hdinstall bootup sequence similiar to the cd boot up sequence. My hardware is an ispiron 8600 laptop with the ati 9600 pro video chip.

Some additional Info:
cd boots fine with both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels with no bad messages.
2.4 kernel boots ok after hdinstall.

I think it may have to do with the hotplug system, though hotplug seems to work fine from a cdboot into the 2.6 kernel. Is there a way to turn off coldplug in hotplug with some config value somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
:lol:
PS previous version of 3.4 2.6.5 kernel booted fine after hdinstall.

cintra
05-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Hei

I had trouble with the 'Debian' install, but managed to install 2.6 using 'Beginner mode'. Snag is I'm not 100% sure what I've got, and no one seems able to say!

For example, Alsa sound works fine, alsamixer is there, but iecset and amixer aren't ..and I ended up with catch 22 apt-get trouble when trying to add alsa-utils
:-(

Hopefully there will be a new version shortly which will install Debian mode reliably.

regards

EDIT: I removed alsa-base, which was part of the catch 22 with apt-get, and installed alsa-utils directly from the alsa.org site. Then iecset allowed me to
'# iecset set rate' to 44100 and spdif sound is now perfect.. :-)

samwhich
05-28-2004, 10:48 PM
I used the debian install using the k2hd script or something the other. Still monkeying around. Don't have as much time as I used to. Some coming across other problems with 2.4.26 kernel hd boot. No showstoppers. Just in case anyone has any problems with the built in wifi in inspiron, looks like 2.4.26 sometimes loads prism2_usb module and sometimes not. Problem is it interferes with ndiswrapper modules that I use to run centrino wifi.

Definitely this one needs some work still. I agree with previous poster.

Thanks for any assistance.