PDA

View Full Version : Can't load Knoppix 3.4 on HP Pavilion ze4145 Laptop

kdmiller
05-28-2004, 05:04 AM
I'm taking a introduction to UNIX class, and we are using Knoppix 3.4 boot CD. The CD boots and tells me to press enter to load unix. It looks like it loads two files, the screen goes blank, but afterwords - nothing. The laptop just sits there and does nothing! There is another guy in the class who has the same laptop and it works just fine on his.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

alexil1976
05-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I have an hp pavilion zv5185 laptop and same problem.

The scan for usb/firewire goes ok and also dma is turned on but once it looks for cdrom /dev/scd0 it halts on.

I have tried different boot options but no solutions, only failsafe mode loads knoppix 3.4. Can anyone help us?

Thanks
Alex

jza
05-29-2004, 02:24 AM
i remember my old hp (model number was similar) couldn't boot because the pcmcia it had wasn't supported. Try booting with no pcmcia parameter and see how that goes

alexil1976
05-29-2004, 12:27 PM
I got knoppix running... altough dma was turned on and it seemed that no problems with dma happened, i got it running using nodma boot option.

Now is running and disk has dma enabled.
However, I have still a problem mounting dvd, it seems similar to the problem i had to boot knoppix - the systems is no responding.

Alex

alexil1976
05-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Finally, my dvd is running...
First, it works as scsi so the file in fstab should be /dev/sr0... 1,2..

I had also problems with dma. If dma is on i cannot get it running so i have disabled it first for that dvd

hdparms -d 0 /dev/hdc --> in my laptop....

once u do this u can mount it without problems

Alex

teknowil
07-03-2004, 12:30 AM
thanks for the tip alex I was having the same problem with my zv5160