PDA

View Full Version : How to play DVDs with hard drive install?

tonylmiller
05-29-2004, 12:07 AM
I'm using KDE 3.2.2. It is a recent download and install, so I guess it is up to date. I'm a newbie and I don't know how to tell what version of knoppix that I have. . .

Anyway, could someone tell me how to play a DVD movie? I love this OS, but I haven't yet figured out how to play a DVD. I know how to type commands into the Konsole, but that's about it. . .

Thanks in advance,

Tony

PROhan
05-29-2004, 02:50 AM
click on the big K> then go to multimedia > Xine

Im pretty sure that should play DVDs
this is one of thos ethings that you could have googled really easily and i dont want to sound mean or discouraging, but just look it up next time if you can :)

tonylmiller
05-29-2004, 04:17 PM

this is one of thos ethings that you could have googled really easily and i dont want to sound mean or discouraging, but just look it up next time if you can :)

I appreciate your kindness. That was the first thing I tried. I guess I should have been more specific. The error I get is a popup window with the following:

(Error reading NAV packet)

The name of the DVD movie does show up in the player.

The xine site says:

To get DVD playback working, first make sure you have a symlink /dev/dvd pointing to your DVD device on your system. For example, if your DVD drive is the master ide drive on the second IDE channel, /dev/dvd should point to /dev/hdc.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this. Or if this will fix my problem. The error that I get is not listed on their FAQ.

Thanks!

ronin77
05-29-2004, 04:24 PM

I appreciate your kindness. That was the first thing I tried. I guess I should have been more specific. The error I get is a popup window with the following:

(Error reading NAV packet)

The name of the DVD movie does show up in the player.

The xine site says:

To get DVD playback working, first make sure you have a symlink /dev/dvd pointing to your DVD device on your system. For example, if your DVD drive is the master ide drive on the second IDE channel, /dev/dvd should point to /dev/hdc.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this. Or if this will fix my problem. The error that I get is not listed on their FAQ.

Thanks!

Do it like this.
You probably have a /dev/dvd already so you have to remove that first by

rm /dev/dvd

If your dvd is connected as /dev/hdc then

ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd

as root.

champagnemojo
05-29-2004, 09:43 PM
I think you need to install libdvdcss2

Add

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
to your sources.list and you'll be able to apt-get it.

I got it to work on mine...but I installed all kinds of dvd crap...most of which I probably didn't need. This is the package others have said is needed though.

tonylmiller
05-29-2004, 10:01 PM
I think you need to install libdvdcss2

Add

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
to your sources.list and you'll be able to apt-get it.

I got it to work on mine...but I installed all kinds of dvd crap...most of which I probably didn't need. This is the package others have said is needed though.

I'm terribly sorry, but I do not know how to add to my sources.list. Does that statement install libdvdcss2, or do I need to do something else to do that? I need a step by step, or a link to some instructions how to do these things. I am trying to learn linux and do not know much yet.

Thanks!

tonylmiller
05-29-2004, 11:11 PM
I added the line to my sources.list in my /etc folder (actually it was in one of the subfolders; I cannot remember which one). Then when I run

apt-get -s install libdvdcss2

from the Konsole, I get the following:

root@linuxcompaq:~#
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Couldn't find package libdvdcss2

I felt pretty good about getting this far. hehe However, this error has me stumped. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

aay
05-29-2004, 11:23 PM
I added the line to my sources.list in my /etc folder (actually it was in one of the subfolders; I cannot remember which one). Then when I run

apt-get -s install libdvdcss2

from the Konsole, I get the following:

root@linuxcompaq:~#
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Couldn't find package libdvdcss2

I felt pretty good about getting this far. hehe However, this error has me stumped. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

After you add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list you need to do an "apt-get update" before doing an "apt-get install"

tonylmiller
05-30-2004, 12:18 AM
After you add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list you need to do an "apt-get update" before doing an "apt-get install"

That did it! Works fine now. I don't want to take too much of your time, but would you mind giving me a brief explanation of why I had to do the update thing? And what did it do? I'm trying to learn more about linux.

Thanks again!

aay
05-30-2004, 05:24 AM

That did it! Works fine now. I don't want to take too much of your time, but would you mind giving me a brief explanation of why I had to do the update thing? And what did it do? I'm trying to learn more about linux.

Thanks again!

Well once you add new repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list apt still has no idea what packages are available from those new repositories until it downloads this information using the "update" option.

You will need to do an "apt-get update" every so often so that when you download and install software you will have the most recent versions.

I'd suggest you look over the information on how to use apt at http://www.debian.org/doc/

Knoppix is a mixture of Debian stable, testing, and unstable so sometimes upgrading or adding packages can cause problems. Watch out particulary if apt tells you that it is going to remove a bunch of packages. If this happens I suggest NOT upgrading/installing.

Often you can eliminate apt's need to remove packages by substituting the following command for the generic apt-get install:

apt-get -t unstable install package_name

If you want to run a simulation, using the -s option like this:

apt-get -s -t unstable install package_name

Cuddles
05-30-2004, 01:20 PM
TonyLMiller,

Like Aay said, ...

apt uses a file, or list, or even a database, that it maintains, and uses, to hold all the "packages", or software that is available from the "sites" you have in the Sources.List file. Since you want to be sure that this list is as up-to-date as possible, so what you want to install, or look for, is the most recent version, or if it is a new program, it might not even be there, you want to "refresh" that database.

To refresh your database that apt-get uses, you run the apt-get update command - I tend to run it whenever I am searching for a program of interest, or needing to add a new program of interest, or, as you found out, whenever you changed the sources.list file.

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

tonylmiller
06-01-2004, 02:14 AM
TonyLMiller,

Like Aay said, ...
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

Yes, all this has helped a whole lot. I've done some reading online, and learned much about the apt command. The more I use linux, the better I like it. . .

Thanks again!

Tony