PDA

View Full Version : internet won't work - possible fix

rickenbacherus
03-07-2003, 10:49 PM
I was just searching the forums when I came across a post from mister Klaus Knopper himself. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but hopefully this will help alot of people who are using DHCP to get their internet back up after a hdd install.

The harddisk-installed system is a "normal" Debian. You have to add the
lines

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dynamic dhcp

I think this should be in the FAQ (if it was I missed it)

Stephen
03-08-2003, 05:05 AM
I gave it a try and it works execpt you do not need the "dynamic" in the line ( at least on KnoppixKDE ) it gives you a to many parameters error when you restart the network. Your right I never seen this anywhere in the FAQ when I had this problem luckily I could use my static settings.

GREGC
03-08-2003, 06:17 AM
Any chance of letting the rest of us know WHICH file needs to be modified?

Greg

Stephen
03-08-2003, 07:08 AM
The file is /etc/network/interfaces I added the line iface eth0 inet dhcp and commented out the static settings I already had. To re-start the network /etc/init.d/networking restart.

raymond
03-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Greg,
it is the following file:

/etc/network/interfaces

ad the this line as the told you before

iface eth0 inet dhcp

and it should work (a searched for hours for this ;-) )

beforewisdom
03-09-2003, 04:12 PM
I ask because I just installed Knoppix to my hard drive last night.

I can connect to ISP, but I can get to any web sites.......even google.

Is the advice offered in this thread germane to my issue?

While I ran the install script I said no to "dhcp" not understanding what the option was, will this have a bearing on my problem?

I also said "no" to the options of having many servers started as I will be running Knoppix as a desktop and not a server.

Could these choices have anything to do with my "internet problem" ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Stephen
03-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Sounds like you don't have a name server in your /etc/resolv.conf file check by opening a console and entering vi /etc/resolv.conf there should be at least one line with nameserver 123.456.789.01 ( whatever the number is for your name server from your ISP ). It wouldn't hurt to check /etc/network/interfaces to make sure your settings are right there also. After you make any changes you will have to re-start the network, to make these changes you will have to be root user.

In answer to your questions no it does not matter that you did not start the servers it asked for in the setup they do not have anything to do with access to the internet. The part that matters is the answers you gave after you declined the dhcp option and if you gave the correct settings for your IP address, gateway, nameserver, etc... , this is what allows you to access the internet.

beforewisdom
03-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Sounds like you don't have a name server in your /etc/resolv.conf file check by opening a console and entering vi /etc/resolv.conf there should be at least one line with nameserver 123.456.789.01 ( whatever the number is for your name server from your ISP ). It wouldn't hurt to check /etc/network/interfaces to make sure your settings are right there also. After you make any changes you will have to re-start the network, to make these changes you will have to be root user.

In answer to your questions no it does not matter that you did not start the servers it asked for in the setup they do not have anything to do with access to the internet. The part that matters is the answers you gave after you declined the dhcp option and if you gave the correct settings for your IP address, gateway, nameserver, etc... , this is what allows you to access the internet.

I got part of the problem fixed.

I made the alterations described in the original post to the thread. I also set up an account in kppp but chose dynamic DNS instead of manual.

I am able to use kppp to connect from the knoppix account.

I would really like to be able to connect from the account I made for myself ( "steve").

I added "steve" to the knoppix group via usermod -G. I then chmoded kppp to 777.

I can bring up kppp as "steve" but for some reason I am not able to select "dyanmic DNS" in the kppp set up when I am logged in as "steve"

Steve