PDA

View Full Version : apt-get install kaffeine (issues)

Cuddles
05-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Ok, I am getting Knoppix v3.4 -=- soon -=- and with people stating the issues with Xine, I wanted to "try" it before I had to use it...

Current system is running Knoppix v3.3, with the older version of KDE, (not the current one in v3.4) - so my attempt at apt-get install kaffeine - caused a "force" upgrade to my "held back" upgrades, that I would rather hold off doing because the system is going to be installed, shortly, with Knoppix v3.4

I tried -t unstable, -t testing, and even -t stable -=- and I think KDE is still trying to upgrade itself...

How can I get kaffeine when apt-get wants to add the upgrade for KDE ???

Thanks in advance,
Ms. Cuddles

Durand Hicks
05-30-2004, 10:12 PM
I had asked this very question some time ago and no one answered. I don't know if it's because they don't know how or don't want to tell us. I would suggest reading the man page for apt-get or dpkg so see if you can combine certain combinations to get your desired result. Bottom line is if kaffeine is dependent on another package that depends on another, etc...., you get the idea. I ran into this very same decision, and then finally caved in and dist-upgraded all of kde to 3.2.2 even though I wanted to remove some of the kde related packages first. Look at it this way Cuddles, if you upgrade, you're basically going to wind up with roughly the same things that are in Knoppix 3.4, minus the kernel if you haven't compiled and rolled your own to the latest kernel. But the packages should match what's on the cd though. FYI, xine works fine on my system, but the skin was changed when I upgraded it.

eco2geek
05-30-2004, 10:15 PM
I've been wondering about this myself. Sooner or later I'm going to run into the same problem! IIRC you've asked this same sort of question before, too.

Debian's package page indicates that the current version of kaffeine for unstable and testing is v0.4.3-1 (web link (http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=kaffeine&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all)). Its dependencies are listed here (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/kde/kaffeine).

Maybe if you downloaded the .deb binary of a previous version of kaffeine, and checked it against what's already installed on your computer, then installed the .deb using dpkg, it would work (rather than using apt-get). :?:

Previous versions seem to be available from http://snapshot.debian.net/. When you search on "kaffeine" it lists previous versions 0.4.2-1.1 and 0.4.2-1 and includes download links to the .deb binaries.

Cuddles
05-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Eco2Geek,

I did ask a question like this before, but, not to this extent...

My previous post was:

Doing an apt-get upgrade appears to want to install more than upgrade
this question came about when I realized that KDE had up'ed the version on me, and from that point on, I have refused to do a apt-get upgrade.

This question was different, because even though an upgrade would do the same as this install it did not effect me from installing until now. Thus, the previous posted question was, hmmmm, avoided by simply not doing a upgrade, but I could still continue to install. Whereas, now, this upgrade issue has escallated to the point that I either do the "upgrade", or I let a "install" of a program "force" the upgrade on me...

I guess this post has gone to the pound, as the other one did, considering after my vacation I should have the v3.4 to work on, and then, be current again. At that time, I should be able to "get" kaffeine without the "upgrade" on a working system. I just wanted to get used to the alternate Xine program before I was "forced" to use it. (this being what I have heard in v3.4 discussions, that Xine doesn't work well in the new version.) -=- Oh well, can't beat a girl for trying to be proactive...

Ms. Cuddles

eco2geek
05-31-2004, 04:09 AM
I am sorry, Ms. Cuddles.

Tried running Knoppix 3.3 from the CD (posting from it now) and downloading the earliest version I could find, kaffeine_0.4.2-1_i386.deb. The result of dpkg --info kaffeine_0.4.2-1_i386.deb says:

new debian package, version 2.0.
size 1300712 bytes: control archive= 2692 bytes.
778 bytes, 12 lines control
5449 bytes, 68 lines md5sums
Package: kaffeine
Version: 0.4.2-1
Section: kde
Priority: optional
Architecture: i386
Depends: kdelibs4 (>= 4:3.2.1), libart-2.0-2, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libfam0c102, libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3.3-1), libice6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.5.0-4), libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.2.3), libsm6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libstdc++5 (>= 1:3.3.3-1), libx11-6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libxext6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libxine1 (>= 1-rc3a), libxrender1, libxtst6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libxv1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
Installed-Size: 2688
Maintainer: Zack Cerza <zcerza@coe.neu.edu>
Description: xine-based media player for KDE 3
Kaffeine has all the features of xine-ui, but is native to KDE. This
package includes a standalone application, a KPart for embedding in
other applications, and a SuperKaramba theme.
Comparing the dependencies with what's installed on Knoppix 3.3, many if not most of the packages need to be upgraded to new versions to run kaffeine. Which would lead to a cascade probably requiring you to entirely upgrade KDE. :(

champagnemojo
05-31-2004, 06:22 AM
Your only hope is probably using alien on an rpm or something. Sites like rpmfind (http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php) seem to have some older versions. It's worth a shot anyways. Or you could always compile it yourself if you have some free time. :wink: