PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix

twotees
05-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Old in age but brand new in Knoppix.
Downloaded Knoppix V 3-4.2. Burned it into a CD. Changed my bios to read CD drive first. No luck as it boots to my Microsoft XP.
No matter what I change the bios too it just automatically booots to XP.
I know there is something else that I must do but just can't figure it out.
Any suggestions? :?:

mzilikazi
06-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Sounds like either Bill has total control of your box OR you don't have a bootable cd. :( Either way it's bad news. I can help you get rid of Bill if you like but the cd....well you'll have to check the md5sum of the image you burned and see if it's correct. What is an md5sum (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqDownloading)? If the md5sum is correct then look at your media and your burn speed. Slow it down to 8x or so.

fingers99
06-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Burned it into a CD.

Sounds fishy. You have to burn the CD as an image, rather than burn a CD with the iso "in it".

twotees
06-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.
It did burn as a "ISO". Not sure how to burn it as an "image."
This may be my problem. Any help in this area?

uraclea2002
06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Do you happen to have a cdrom and a dvd drive (or another cd drive installed? Try the cd in the other drive when you boot. I had the same issue untill I found out my dvd was set as the primary drive.

If you have Roxio Easy CD Creator, just double click the ISO file and Roxio will start with it set to burn the image to cd.

Cuddles
06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
twotees,

If you open the CD, and view it, it shouldn't just show the ISO file, that is a clear sign that the CD won't boot, and the CD was burned as a ISO file and not image.

To resolve, you are going to need another CDR, first...
Second, this all depends on the CD Burning Software you are using, but, if it was installed, it probably created an "association" of the file extension ".iso", and thus, we can use this to our advantage.

Open up Explorer, the program you use to "view" folders, and files with. Locate the ISO file where you stored it, and double-click on it. IT SHOULD open the program you use to burn CD's with, and if it does, it should already be set to burn the CD with the file as an "image" and not as a "file".

Again, not sure what program you are using for burning CD's with, or the version of it, but, possibly look in the "burning" settings, you will probably find some setting that states Burn file as image or something like that, make sure that setting is checked. Or you are going to burn another glorified CD Coaster. ( I have never burned a Knoppix CD, but have seen someone do it, and KNOW what you need to do, to get the job done, just not personally )

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

gitarzysta
06-01-2004, 01:50 PM
In Nero close the wizard window and from the menu (I can't remember which one but you'll easily find it) choose: Burn image
Both Nero and Adaptec software are not free but...
there's plenty of free cdr tools for M$.
What's more you can get free Power Toys (unofficial but M$-made add on for your Windows, VERY useful) for your Windows version. There is a tool included that will burn the ISO as "image". If it is not available in your version of Power Toys (M$ removed it from latest build) get the ISO recorder here:
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Markus
06-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Here's howtos for some windows burning apps incl Nero: http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm

twotees
06-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Once again I want to thank everyone for their quick response. I have decided to by the CD and hope to have better luck with it. I'll be away for awhile visiting my children and their children.
Being a neophite there will be trouble when the new task presents itself. It is then that I will again be asking for your estimeed help.
Thanks again.
Two tees