PDA

View Full Version : dual booting

sklynn
06-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Can anyone point me to information about dual booting Windows 98SE and Knoppix V.3.4 ?

mzilikazi
06-02-2004, 06:03 PM
I'll write one for you.

sudo knoppix-installer

Install lilo to mbr

reboot

done!

sklynn
06-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Is this something I type in? And if so, where and when do I type this in?

mzilikazi
06-03-2004, 01:01 PM
You need to run the installer.

sudo knoppix-installer
Be sure and put your boot loader on the MBR so that you can choose between OS's. It's really quite simple. :)

sklynn
06-03-2004, 06:40 PM
It may seem simple to you, but I have not used Knoppix before, and I need more information. I need a step by step instructions. Thanks

tonylmiller
06-04-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm doing the very same thing as we speak. I'l write some instructions if/when I'm successful.

So far:

I have run fdisk and made a DOS partition (fat32) for Windows and I have installed Windows 98 SE on it. I have read that it is best to install Windows first.

Next I plan to install knoppix on my other partition. I have installed knoppix on this hard drive before, but not dual boot. The hard disk installation is quite easy; it is the dual boot feature that I'm concerned about. But I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I'll let you know!

j.drake
06-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I'll write one for you.

sudo knoppix-installer

Install lilo to mbr

reboot

done!

No, it's not that easy -- you forgot the first step: 1. Back up all critical data before even thinking about doing this, and make sure that you have installation disks of Windows and your favorite applications ready, and that you know how to do a clean install of everything if something bad happens. I know that this sounds like a step that can be disregarded, but just do a search on this forum and see how many people have hosed their systems by doing this, and are frantically scrambling for a way to save their financial data, MP3s, digital photos, or whatever. If this is a newbie's first time to do a dual boot, he's probably not competent enough in Linux to use Knoppix to rescue his Windows data without a lot of help, and he will probably be borrowing computers at the public library to come here and beg for help, and it will probably take 2 weeks or so to get his computer operational again with a portion of his data. Trust me, I've been there. MBRs are touchy things, and Windows won't boot if you hose them. Newbies also need to do the research to learn how to partition their hard drive, BEFORE they undertake this, so that they won't just be scratching their heads when it asks whether they want a swap file and how big they want it to be.

I love dual boot, and I hope to do it again one day, but after my last experience I realized that I did not yet have the competence in Linux to rescue myself, so I'm making do with persistent home for now and hanging out here until I know that I'm ready.

JD

tonylmiller
06-04-2004, 05:19 PM
O.k., setting up dual boot with Win98 SE and knoppix 3.4 is easy as pie. Here are the steps:

1) First I removed all partitions using fdisk and then set up a new partition (FAT32) in the first half of my 12 GB hard disk. Of course, this step completely wipes all data from the computer, so back up everything before you start. Then format the new partition.

2) Then I installed Win 98 SE in the first partition (C: drive).

3) Then I inserted the knoppix CD that I burned from an ISO and booted my system.

4) Then I ran "sudo knx2hd" from the terminal program. There is an icon for it at the bottom of your knoppix screen.

5) The only tricky part of the installation was partitioning the linux partitions. You can probably find some help for that elsewhere, but I made a 256 MB swap partition and partitioned the rest in the other linux partition.

6) I did install lilo to the MBR.

7) Now when I start my system, lilo automatically comes up with a boot menu, including linux and Windows! It worked without a hitch.

I still want to make some modifications to lilo to start Windows by default, because I am the only person in the family who will be using linux. But that seems to be about it.

btw, can someone explain the boot options in lilo, or point me to a link? I'm not sure why there are 3 linux boot options. I just always take the top one. . .

If anyone has any corrections for this procedure, let me know and I will edit it accordingly.

Good luck!

Tony

whablow
06-04-2004, 08:25 PM
what does MBR mean? and what is lilo? is that on the KNOPPIX disc?

mzilikazi
06-04-2004, 10:29 PM
No, it's not that easy -- you forgot the first step: 1.

I didn't forget anything. Why rewrite what's already been written in more than a dozen places on this site alone?

linda
06-04-2004, 11:05 PM
MBR is Master Boot Record, and it is what Windows uses to boot a windows system. Lilo is Linux Loader, and it is the same thing, but for Linix. The difference is, MBR can't boot Linux, but Lilo can boot Windows. Also MBR has to go on the first partition at the very beginning, and you can't change where it goes. Lilo can go anywhere.

I think that is what you wanted to know, and I hope I got it all right!

sklynn
06-05-2004, 05:41 AM
You did not answer where the Lilo can be found?

Markus
06-05-2004, 07:11 AM
MBR is the first sector of a harddisk or floppy where a small program resides that tells the BIOS where on the disk to boot from. Here's a better explanation of Lilo:
http://www.control-escape.com/bootload.html

I haven't used the newest Knoppix installer but older ones at least asked where you want to put Lilo and gave a choise between MBR and root partition. Yes, Lilo can quite happily reside in the MBR where I also have it, (my default is windows but it's my wife's fault :wink: ). Lilo will also give a menu to boot Linux or Windows. And the answer to your question is: You get Lilo with the Knoppix installation.

If you don't want to put Lilo in the MBR you can use the NTbootloader to run Lilo like in:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11046
The drawback is that you get two splashscreens, first the windows NTldr, and then Lilo, although you can put the lilo timeout to 2 seconds or so that you hardly even see when booting.

EDIT: How about a look at the sticky at the top of this Hdd Install section of this fine forum.

sklynn
06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone, for the helpful information.