PDA

View Full Version : Windows on knoppix

fabiand
06-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Well Hello everybody....
I have just been tempted from Windows and I am using actually the latest Knoopix on my Asus laptop.
The problem is that I need to use some Windows applicattions and I wanted to know if I could run windows on knoppix avoiding the idea of partitioning the hard disk and having to install both operating system.

Thanks!

j.drake
06-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I don't think so. What you are talking about is a Windows virtual machine that runs nattive in linux, and I haven't seen one. There are virtual machines that run in Windows, though, that you can use to run Knoppix.

While this sounds like an attractive idea, VMs are painfully S-L-O-W!!!

JD

fabiand
06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Ok, then J.drake....I will go for the dual Operating System installation....
Thanks for your help!

I don't think so. What you are talking about is a Windows virtual machine that runs nattive in linux, and I haven't seen one. There are virtual machines that run in Windows, though, that you can use to run Knoppix.

While this sounds like an attractive idea, VMs are painfully S-L-O-W!!!

JD

ZeroKun
06-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Bochs can emulate windows up to xp, and there is vmware for linux. VMWare is the fastest, and it runs stuff perfectly, ive never had a problem with it. But VMWare is expensive, you can use the trial for about 30 days i think.

fabiand
06-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks! I apreciate you help.

Bochs can emulate windows up to xp, and there is vmware for linux. VMWare is the fastest, and it runs stuff perfectly, ive never had a problem with it. But VMWare is expensive, you can use the trial for about 30 days i think.

firebyrd10
06-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Wine is runes windows programs pretty well (for me anyway)

garyng
06-03-2004, 09:15 AM
try the other way round : linux on XP.

http://www.colinux.org

You get all the nice thing of XP and linux running at the same time.

locutus
06-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Just a guess here but this user could be a GNU/Linux newbie and asked the wrong question. It sounds to me that his desire is to run those "needed" MS Windows based applications from his newly installed GNU/Linux( Knoppix ) OS.

If that is the case, then WINE is definately the first thing to try. Then, it might be something like Win4Lin then one of the VM's like VMware. And if the default WINE installation in Knoppix doesn't work, you might try the Crossover Office version.

fabiand
06-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, I am a newbie....Since a company called SOFTWARE LEGAL (a layers company) chasing ilegal software installations...I decided to swich to linux. Here in Mendoza (Argentina) there is a LUG and I went to a public meeting....to know about this "linux" thing...Well...they showed knoppix....and here I am...

The problems is that I am running an application on Internet Information Server of Microsoft, forcing me to watch it through Internet Explorer. Its an intranet system. I often show this app to customers....and I thought that I could run it with windows installed on Knoppix, avoiding both Operating System Installations....

Anyway I do have in mind your comments about Wine....Hope to have been clearer!....Thanks!

Why I am not asking local LUG guys?......they dont have a forum like this.....its excellent...Congratulations.

Just a guess here but this user could be a GNU/Linux newbie and asked the wrong question. It sounds to me that his desire is to run those "needed" MS Windows based applications from his newly installed GNU/Linux( Knoppix ) OS.

If that is the case, then WINE is definately the first thing to try. Then, it might be something like Win4Lin then one of the VM's like VMware. And if the default WINE installation in Knoppix doesn't work, you might try the Crossover Office version.

garyng
06-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Yes, I am a newbie....Since a company called SOFTWARE LEGAL (a layers company) chasing ilegal software installations...I decided to swich to linux. Here in Mendoza (Argentina) there is a LUG and I went to a public meeting....to know about this "linux" thing...Well...they showed knoppix....and here I am...

The problems is that I am running an application on Internet Information Server of Microsoft, forcing me to watch it through Internet Explorer. Its an intranet system. I often show this app to customers....and I thought that I could run it with windows installed on Knoppix, avoiding both Operating System Installations....

Anyway I do have in mind your comments about Wine....Hope to have been clearer!....Thanks!

Why I am not asking local LUG guys?......they dont have a forum like this.....its excellent...Congratulations.

I see two issues here :

1. IE, what version you must have ?
2. copyright(legal)

If you need an IE that is not freely distributed(i.e., it needs to go with certain Windows), using WINE is not going to help because of (2).

Would Mozilla work ?

jeremymeindl
06-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I use VMWARE, allows you to run two OS at the same time. . . with net, and devices enabled. You can download a trial from their website: vmware.com

I use linux (Knoppix 3.4) as my host and Windows XP (2600) as my guest.

Jeremy Meindl

aay
06-08-2004, 07:31 PM

No VMWare is not the fastest. Win4lin far exceeds VMWare in speed (Though VMWare is much faster than Bochs which is HORRIBLY slow). Of course the major limitation for Win4lin is that you can only run Win 98. Supposedly the Netraverse guys will be releasing a version of win4lin that will run Win2000 later this year. If you do decide to use Win4lin, then you might want to use the latest beta of Mepis which has support for win4lin built in. Otherwise you will need to recompile your kernel and since you said that you are new to Linux, you might not be ready for this yet.

On the other hand I have tried the new Crossover Office from Codeweavers and it works very well on a stock Knoppix install. If your primary need is for IE, then you might want to give that a try. IE runs fine under Crossover. You can go to the codeweavers site and download a 30 day trial version of Crossover Office.

ZeroKun
06-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Never tried win4lin so I wouldnt know.

fabiand
06-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone...As you say, I am to newbie for all that....but a guy told me about OPERA.

He convinced me to give it a try! Well...to my surprise it turned out to be working very well with most applications screens!.
What you have to do is to choose "identify as Internet Explorer" and thats all.

Once again...thanks for your help.

Well, to my

No VMWare is not the fastest. Win4lin far exceeds VMWare in speed (Though VMWare is much faster than Bochs which is HORRIBLY slow). Of course the major limitation for Win4lin is that you can only run Win 98. Supposedly the Netraverse guys will be releasing a version of win4lin that will run Win2000 later this year. If you do decide to use Win4lin, then you might want to use the latest beta of Mepis which has support for win4lin built in. Otherwise you will need to recompile your kernel and since you said that you are new to Linux, you might not be ready for this yet.

On the other hand I have tried the new Crossover Office from Codeweavers and it works very well on a stock Knoppix install. If your primary need is for IE, then you might want to give that a try. IE runs fine under Crossover. You can go to the codeweavers site and download a 30 day trial version of Crossover Office.

fingers99
06-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Ah. But you can do much the same with Konqueror: worth a try.

Launch Konqueror > Settings > Configure Konqueror.

monkymind
06-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Well Hello everybody....
The problem is that I need to use some Windows applicattions and I wanted to know if I could run windows on knoppix avoiding the idea of partitioning the hard disk and having to install both operating system.
Thanks!

If you like to tinker you could try Qemu
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
Kurumin - the Brazilian knoppix remaster has it (OsNews review)
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=7192
Kurumin homepage
http://www.guiadohardware.net/kurumin/

Screenshot - W2K running on Kurumin using Qemu
http://www.guiadohardware.net/kurumin/screenshots/kurumin-3.0qemu.png

There seems to be a few gui frontends for Qemu (in development). Morphix guy alextreme is working on one too :-
http://am.xs4all.nl/drupal/?q=qemuworkstation

It will probably take a considerable amount of effort to get it all to work smoothly but at least its free 8)

Good luck
rob

fabiand
06-10-2004, 09:10 PM
It does much of it, if it werent for some graphical boxes...I just cant fill the gaps....I dont see them...the only button available is "send".....

Thanks anyway...

Ah. But you can do much the same with Konqueror: worth a try.

Launch Konqueror > Settings > Configure Konqueror.

probono
06-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Quemu does exactly what you want, but it is not the fastest (at least on my Duron 800 the Windows 98 install tool about 2.5 hours to complete). But it runs ok. And they are working on Mac OS X too :)