PDA

View Full Version : paranoid nood needs help :)

el_chupanegre
06-02-2004, 04:30 PM
hey all!

I know i probly sound really dumb here but i'm startin uni in a few months, n i know ill b usin linux instead of windows there, but ive never used linux before. obv im here becos i think ive found a decent way to try it out but i was just wondering what the risks were to my current OS. Does knoppix actually write anything to the HD? if it doesnt then gr8, but are there any other real risks to my comp?

Thanx in advance,
el_chupanegre

johnb
06-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Your hard drive is not used at all. If you are paranoid you could take out your harddrive and run the cd. :shock:
johnb

lamerie
06-02-2004, 07:43 PM
If you want to you can save your configuration (desktop settings etc) to your hard drive. You can also set up a Persistant Home Directory on your HDD, but be careful to say 'no' to the 'use entire drive' dialog (it'll wipe the entire drive), you'll then be able to specify the size of the partition. The script works for me (on 4 different machines including a laptop) so I'm assuming it's perfectly safe, it's certainly very easy!. You need a PHD (ha!..I only just spotted that acronym) to download files into, install software etc. I've got mine set to 300 Mb click> Knoppix > Configure > Create a Persistant Knoppix Directory :)