PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs help creating new user

turbines
06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Great Forum! I have found lots of help here and I would be totally lost without it. Thanks to everyone for the help

I installed 3.4 to my hard drive using the "beginner" scheme and the instructions in godot's post. That install required me to manually configure a static ip connection after every start until I found a hack to fix etc/network/interfaces and knoppix_autoconfig settings. All that made me wonder what "beginner" means.

Then I tried an install using the "old" Debian scheme. That all went pretty smooth and I got a bootable system even though I bluddered through all the apt-get and dselect stuff. Now when I create a new user from root and then start the new user I have nothing but German and a windows interface I am unfamiliar with. I wish to set up a desktop similar to the Knoppix desktop. I tried modifying the basic Knoppix desktop settings but have never figured out how to save the changes. I guess the new user is the way to go if I can figure out how to do it. Can some one please steer me to some simple instructions on how to set up a new user in English and KDE

Markus
06-02-2004, 06:18 PM
In the login manager when you choose KDE as session type it should pop up a Desktop Settings Wizard. If it doesn't pop up automagically it's in Kmenu -> Settings.
If you use Kuser to create a new user be sure not to delete the old user before the new account works. That way you can go back and check the groups etc. the new user needs.

Alternatively you could: http://www.deutsch-lernen.com/learn-german-online/e_dc.htm
Sorry, couldn't resist :D

turbines
06-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Good One! Hehe. Ich kann Deutsches jetzt sprechen, das wenig zu Ihnen dankt. v :lol:

Geez I never thought about that menu at the login. That's simple enough and I thank you.