PDA

View Full Version : I can boot but screen goes blank on entering X Windows

patty34
06-02-2004, 07:57 PM
I have successfully burned the Knoppix iso file three times using two different CD burners. I have booted successfully on three different machines, but everytime it tries to activate X Windows or KDE or something like that, the screen on all three computers just goes blank.

Please can somebody help me? Thank You.

wonko42
06-07-2004, 08:15 AM
ya i'm having the same problem too. its weird tho, i just booted from the cd no problem just yesterday. I know almost nothing about linux, but maybe it has something to do with a BIOS setting or something (i've been going in there alot to change settings, unpluggin HW and what not installing various OS's and booting them.)

fingers99
06-07-2004, 08:40 AM
As a first step, try returning the bios to default settings (or, at least, selecting non plug and play OS). If you make a note of the settings you have now, you can easily change them back.

Next step may be to try one of the cheatcodes:

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

wonko42
06-07-2004, 09:10 PM
thanks. i'm really tring to avoid the cheat codes for now only b/c it was booting from the cd fine before. so that means more playing with the BIOS (which i'm perfectlly comfortable with). i'm also gonna try unpluggin some devices too. if i remember i'll post what i did if i figgure this thing out. heh.

jeremymeindl
06-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I had the same problem and mine turned out to be a bios issue. The starnge thing is that PHLAK (Remastered security knoppix distro) worked and booted into X, however Knoppix would not.

Stick with the BIOS settings, it's your best bet. . .

Jeremy

wonko42
06-08-2004, 09:38 PM
thanks for the input. i'm gonna make sure i change everyone of those danged settings and test them now! heh. oh. btw, what setting(s) did you have to change?

wonko42
06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
okay i was messing around with this problem the other week, and i swtiched over to the first virtual terminal (correct terminology?? ctrl+alt+f1) and left it on on accident (i got distracted doing something else). i'm not sure what i did, if truely anything at all, but i saw this error message.

spurious 825a interrupt: IRQ7

can someone help me break this down into what it exactly means?