PDA

View Full Version : knoppix does not work from my cp

slurp
06-03-2004, 04:19 PM
knoppix cd does not work from my cp but the cd is working fine on my buddys cp.. how can i fix it so it`s working fom my cp ?

slurp
06-03-2004, 05:59 PM
anyone?

mzilikazi
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Huh? Are you serious? :roll:

You might be able to fix it by doing a rain dance but probably not. Since you don't even tell us anything at all about your hardware how could anyone do anything but guess? If you want a serious answer you should post a serious question.

DanLinux
06-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Well, I share the problem of Slurp. After having downloaded Knoppix, I created the cd and tried it on my pc (normally running W2K) and everything (almost everything, actually...) worked fine. It was my very first contact with Linux! Its a little different but i have to say i did like it. Some "minor" problems include my ignorance on Linux commands and the fact that i could not reach de FDD (where is "My Computer"?!? :-) eheheh). Even when i tried to save the configuration of Knoppix, i couldn't do it; i couldn't even format a floppy disk). Well, then i tried it on other pc (intel pentium4, 1,7 ghz, 128 mb ram, ATI-264VT2 PCI, 2mb) with dual boot (W2K and XP) and the pc didn't boot! Why? Anyone? Thanks for reading this and best regards for all! 8)

j.drake
06-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Well, I share the problem of Slurp. After having downloaded Knoppix, I created the cd and tried it on my pc (normally running W2K) and everything (almost everything, actually...) worked fine. It was my very first contact with Linux! Its a little different but i have to say i did like it. Some "minor" problems include my ignorance on Linux commands and the fact that i could not reach de FDD (where is "My Computer"?!? :-) eheheh). Even when i tried to save the configuration of Knoppix, i couldn't do it; i couldn't even format a floppy disk). Well, then i tried it on other pc (intel pentium4, 1,7 ghz, 128 mb ram, ATI-264VT2 PCI, 2mb) with dual boot (W2K and XP) and the pc didn't boot! Why? Anyone? Thanks for reading this and best regards for all! 8)

Obvious things first, check the BIOS on machine #2 to make sure that it WILL boot off CD.

On the saved configuration issue, you are aware that you have to boot with a cheatcode to retrieve your saved configuration, right? And also that "saved configuration" is not the same as saving files? To save files from a live CD boot, you have to set up a persistent home as well.

For now, check the docs tab at the top. I don't mean to insult by suggesting basic issues, but you didn't list many specifics and you are admittedly new to linux. If you can't find what you need in the docs, try reposting with a step-by-step of what you tried and what happened (or didn't). Good luck, and welcome!

JD