PDA

View Full Version : General networking issues

spartn119
06-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Like many in this foru8m, im a newb that is in need of help. Basically, i don't know where to start in order to get Knoppix connected to the internet. I connect through a router (ethernet - not wireless). I loaded a couple modules in knoppix that i thought were for my card, but that didn't do anything. Does anyone know of a general newb guide for connecting? I have no idea where to start. and the configuration utilities that came with knoppix have yet to do anything for me.

spartn119
06-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Ok, at this point there have been 21 views and no replies, so maybe im not providing enough information. When i type "sudo netcardconfig" into the terminal, it doesn't do anything but tell me that it timed out while doing somehting with PADO packets..i think. I installed the drivers for my card when i used the PPPoE set-up, but it still doesn't work! What do i do? What more information do i need to provide?

Harry Kuhman
06-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Ok, at this point there have been 21 views and no replies, so maybe im not providing enough information. ..... I installed the drivers for my card when i used the PPPoE set-up, but it still doesn't work! What do i do? What more information do i need to provide?

You're sure not providing enough information.

You say you are using a router, but then you say you used the PPPoE setup. Why would you do that? Doesn't the router deal with the PPPoE for you? You shouldn't have to use PPPoE at all. And to rule out it being a PPPoE issue at all, can you talk to other local computers on the router or even the router itself? No PPPoE involved there at all.

You say you installed the drivers for your card. You installed them?? Have you installed Knoppix to the hard drive? I don't see where you ever mentioned this. If so, read the many other threads in this forum on problems users have after running the install scripts. Seems that networking ALWAYS fails after installing to a hard drive. Why the scripts are never fixed I don't understand; seems to be part of the Linux geek mindset problem where the person who writes the scripts thinks you should somehow just know that you have to change the permissions on some files and for some reason thinks this should not be done right in the first place.

But if you have installed to hard drive, tell us, does Knoppix and networking run properly when booting from the CD (clearly without your "installed drivers")? What do you or do you not get in that case?

You keep talking about your network card, as if you think you have a special NIC that might need something special, but you never bother to get around to mentioning what it is. It's extremely likely that if you gave this information you might get some feedback, perhaps someone who knows of a problem, more likely a number of people who can confirm back that the card works fine for them.

I have started a couple of threads on this forum of a NIC that worked under Knoppix then stopped after some windows "security updates" were installed. You might be in the same boat (even if you never tried Knoppix until after you installed updates, if you ever did). I would suggest you look for these long threads with my name as the original poster and see if what I and others found sounds like what you are seeing too (there are some techniques listed there that work for some of us to bypass the problem). And in general read the other threads, that's a big part of why they exist on this forum.

spartn119
06-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Ok, sorry, i know this much about Linux: *squat*. Anyway, i use a Realtek 8139. I made the mistake of saying i installed these drivers, i do run knoppix from the CD, i loaded the modules for my device. Knoppix detects the card and everything, but when using netcardconfig it fails ( I say "yes" when it asks me if i want to use DHCP broadcast). I have no idea how to find local computers or *talk* to my router. I heard somebody mention something named Lisa? So i typed that in and it supposedly started some LAN program....which i have no clue how to use. What more information should I provide? Can you provide help from this point?

PS: I have looked at other threads, and tried a few things (hence my references to Lisa and "lspci -v" script), but i have yet to find something that'll help me specifically.

Harry Kuhman
06-04-2004, 03:41 AM
Try these:

Make sure your network/ router is working (by running something else or running another computer hooked to the router). Boot Knoppix from CD. Confirm that you can not get to the Iinternet by clicking on the knoppix link that shows in the open browser (or use any other working Internet URL). Then open a shell (opps, you didn't tell us which version of Knoppix you're using either; it's the icon with a screen and a shell in front of it in versions 3.3 and eariler, in 3.4 they changed the icon a bit but it still looks like a screen/terminal, it's the one to the right of the little house). type in "sudo mii-tool -r" at the prompt and at the next prompt type "netcardconfig" and go ahead and let it configure by DHCP (DHCP IS enabled in your router, isn't it?).

Also try:
Booting the Knoppix CD and use the EXPERT mode. Answer all questions N. See if the network works when Knoppix comes up.

And finally try:
Boot Knoppix. At the boot prompt enter:

linux26 acpi=off noscsi

or

linux24 acpi=off noscsi

if you are running version 3.4 (pick the kernel you wish, either should work fine)

or, if you are using 3.3 or eariler at the prompt type:

knoppix acpi=off noscsi

Again, see if the network iis now working after Knoppix boots.

Please post back the results of your tests, and if any of these resolve your problem (they have all been discussed in other threads) please let us know what version of Windows is/was install on the computer and if you have installed "security updates".

Harry Kuhman
06-04-2004, 04:23 AM
I have no idea how to find local computers or *talk* to my router.

OK, lets get a little more information. What router do you have (brand and model)? Do you have other computers at this location that are wired into the router? If so, are they running Windows (and what version?) This is a home location, right, and not an office, and you do have legitimate reason to access your router, right?

Assuming that were's talking about a normal router intended for home use and hooked to DSL or a cable modem, you access the router with an address like 192.168.0.1. This address can be changed, and it differes for different brands, some brands default to 192.168.0.1 , some to 192.168.1.1 and some default to 192.168.2.1. If you're not sure which and can't find your documentation, check your local IP address on a working computer and use the first three numbers that match the IP address of the computer and a 1 in the last place (hopefully it hasn't been changed to some other number). You mentioned PPPoE, which seems to imply you are on DSL. It also indicates that you or someone should have gone into the router setup at some point and set your user name and password into the router so that it can log you into your DSL account. Don't change these settings if you do go into the router setup.

The menus vary by brand and even model for different routers, but all will let you set up how the router accesses the Internet provider and all will let you enable or disable DHCP. You can run with DHCP disabled, but you have to do a lot more set-up work on each computer. Unless DHCP is disabled for some reason it should be enabled. If someone else set this router up for you and is maintaning your system and if you see that DHCP is disabled, check with them as to why before you enable it.

If you post back a brand and model I might be able to give you more information about the router setup. I have some experience with Linksys, dLink, SMC, Netgear, Nexland, and Belkin (hate the Belkin).

By the way, the router will likely have a login page and need a password and maybe a name before it will let you in. It might default to blank, but it might default to some value given in your router documentation. (This is NOT the same as the user name and password to log into your ISP) And you should change this as a secuity issue when you set up the router, so if the router is loggin in to the ISP, then whoever set up the router may already have changed the login password. Don't use the reset button to reset this unless you are sure you have the account information you need to put back into the ISP login information after a reset

That you don't know about the setup seems somewhat strange if this is your home system. Please advise of your situation. Clearly I don't want to be helping teanagers bypass router rules that their father put into the system. And if a router is reset and changed the owner would likely find out pretty quickly (as any reset will change the router password).

spartn119
06-04-2004, 05:09 AM
Unfortunately, none of those 3 methods you mentioned worked for me. My network is setup as such: My dad's computer (rarely even on, running XP), my mom's laptop (also running XP), and my computer (which is running XP) are all connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. If you didn't know, that router is a wireless one, but im not on a wireless connection. My mom's laptop and my computer are wired into the router (my dad's computer doesn't even need to be worried with, its off 95% of the time). I know more about computers than either of my parents and the only reason i want to get to router is so i can access the internet through knoppix. I also made the mistake of mentioning PPPoE - i shouldn't have said anything, im not on DSL. Seeing as how I didn't know anything about Knoppix i was just messing around with all the configuration utilities and I just happened to mention that one in the post. Heres something strange though, Now that i have tried to use Knoppix to get on the internet and tried to get these configurations to work, i can't access my router. I know exactly what your talking bout, Im very familiar with the menus in my router and kknow for a fact that DHCP is enabled. I don't need an account with my ISP to get online, I use RoadRunner.
When i tried "sudo mii-tool -r" at the prompt, it gave me the following message:
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eht0' failed: Invalid argument
no MII interfaces found
I typed exactly what you said to, then the netcardconfig utility continued to fail on me. Im really starting to like Linux, with the exception of all this internet config, and would really like to get this working. Thanks for all your time trying to get this straight. Any other advice?

PS: Im using 3.4 Knoppix

EDIT: I think i entered the wrong IP address for my machine during the netcardconfig. I put in one that matches the result of ipconfig in windows, and when i typed in "sudo mii-tool -r" at the prompt it said: "reconfiguring autonegotiation" (or something very similar). Unfortunately, when i ran netcardconfig, the DHCP broadcast failed and the internet still isn't working.

Harry Kuhman
06-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Now that i have tried to use Knoppix to get on the internet and tried to get these configurations to work, i can't access my router. ....

PS: Im using 3.4 Knoppix

You mean you can't even get to it with Windows, or just that you can't get to it from Knoppix? I'm not surprised that you can't get to it from Knoppix, since your NIC doesn't seem to be working with Knoppix at all. If you can't get to it from Windows, and you can get to the Internet through it in Windows, that would be a real puzzle! I would then try accessing the Linksys with you mom or dad's systems. Maybe something is screwy in the Linksys and it isn't letting anyone log in.

I'm starting to run out of things that have worked for myself or others. Just one shot in the dark here would be to boot with the linux26 acpi=off noscsi cheat code and then to try the sudo mii-tool -r again and see if the result is any different (if it is then follow it with a netcardconfig).

Yea, with RR you don't use PPPoE at all, and you don't have to put a user/password in the router. Just be sure the right connection is selected and it should work fine.

You never answered any of the questions about windows updates. I certainly don't know that this is the problem, but it's something I've seen a lot. You also have not posted anything about the computer itself. Is it a desktop system and is the NIC on a seperate removable PCI card? (as opposed to a notebok with a built-in NIC or a desktop with the NIC on the motherboard}. I think the realtek chip you are using is available both on a card and built into systems. If it is a desktop system with a removable NIC, I would suggest swapping out the NIC. NIC cards are cheap, I have several on a shelf by me that were free after rebate. You could even add a NIC to a desktop with a built-in NIC if you have a free PCI slot. Also, if you do swap out the NIC (even with another RealTek, although I would expect you might use a different brand) I strongly urge you to do the following:

Insert the Knoppix CD before you shut down Windows and be sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD before hard disk (it likely is if you are already booting Knoppix). Then shuit down XP, UNPLUG the computer, and install the new NIC. Boot Knoppix and test it before WinXP ever has a chance to see that NIC (this is why I suggest that you put the CD in before shutting down XP, I would want to do the test without XP ever seeing the NIC). Report back if that works, and if it does check if Knoppix still can use the NIC after running WinXP and particullarly check if Knoppix can still use the NIC after the next few "security updates" that you accept.

Harry Kuhman
06-04-2004, 05:58 AM
EDIT: I think i entered the wrong IP address for my machine during the netcardconfig. I put in one that matches the result of ipconfig in windows, and when i typed in "sudo mii-tool -r" at the prompt it said: "reconfiguring autonegotiation" (or something very similar). Unfortunately, when i ran netcardconfig, the DHCP broadcast failed and the internet still isn't working.

I don't know why (or how) you entered an IP address at all. I thought you were just typing in netcardconfig at the prompt (no options) or even bringing it up from the Knoppix GUI menu. You should get a GUI prompt asking if you want to set it up by DHCP (even if you started it from the text shell). Click on the button that does the DHCP setup. Of course, you can set it up manually instead, but that does require you knowing several settings.

I do have a diagnostic for the RealTek RTL8129/8139 chips. Your e-mail link isn't set up, but if you send me an e-mail address by clicking on my email link I'll send you the C code for it (you have to compile it yourself, but thats part of the "fun" of Linux). I don't have a Realtek and have not run it, so I can't say if it will help or not. Oh yea, you should have a Fat partition of some type on your hard disk to compile the program. If you only have one (or more) NTFS partitions on your WinXP hard drive(s), DO NOT write to these partitions with Knoppix. You have to remount a partition as read-write (Knoppix defaults to opening them read-only) and the common wisdom is that while the Linux NTFS driver seems to read OK it is not trusted to write to a NTFS partition.

DO NOT post your email address back in the forum; that will only introduce you to tons of spam. Use the link on one of my post to send me an address and I'll respond with the program if you want to give it a shot.